1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do after a prosperous winter.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowjay, Jun 18, 2003.

1. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ok guys I figured this would be a good question since for many of us, especially in the Northeast, this was an extremely successful harsh and snowy winter. How many of you guys have or are considering major updates on snow removal equipment with the profits earned this past winter????

If so please share what you are getting.

Jay

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I upgraded to a newer truck

Went from an 1986 Chevy 1/2 ton to a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 extended cab, will be putting a New Fisher Plow on soon.

May look at a few other additions to the fleet as well, but not sure... I have a daughter getting married in September, so IF there is any money left, maybe I'll buy something else.:rolleyes:

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I might get a new f-350 pick-up. maybe a new excavator too:D

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You may end up with nothing after that wedding.

I don't plan on doing much for next year. Unless a major contract somes my way and some new equipment is needed. Kind of happy in my little niche.

I am considering a sidewing plow and some urethane to use as curb protectors only.

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I just purchased a new dump trailer this spring. I know, most use out of it would be from spring-fall work, but I can use it in winter for hauling away snow. Sort of small snow removal.

I am going to purchase a new Fisher V plow this summer and hope to wear off some trip edge steel before I could bolt on the U-edge. I would also like to get a Downeaster stainless steel sander later this year, but that will have to wait for a little while. It all depend on the situation for this coming winter on whether if I have enough money for it or if I have enough account that need sanding services. If not, then it will be next year. :)

6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I already swapped my'90 dodge 250 for a '97 Dodge 2500 with Cummins. I just hafta figure out which plow to go with. Budget is really tight 'cause our year was still below normal. I will wait till just before season and try to get a close-out '03 model on a deal.;)

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mine too:( . Well below normal for the area. Last full plowing was in Feb. I'm adding services hoping to increase my customer base. When I do get a prosperous year, I'll probably get a sidewing.

8. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I already posted this in the ford forum but here goes...

truck

This is what I'll be doing with my earnings for this year (and a few to come).

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

im just hoping we dont have a lean year

my wifes lease is up in feb. and id like to have a little extra down
    money.

cardoctor
    may the snow gods be with us

:cry:

10. KenP

KenP Senior Member

11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Szorno, Think you should be hooking up for Howard for an 810 whichever truck you keep. May the snow gods bless you with lots of snow this year so you can give it a real run.

Jerre

p.s. I'll be putting the sidewings to test this year with U edges and steel per Mulligans request as part of my spending from last winter. Ended up with some extra sidewings but they are moving out so will be ordering more.

12. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

As you know from some of my other posts, we have been planning to get a new truck for next season and put a Blizzard plow on it. We were thinking we would do this a little later on in the summer. Well, we made the trip to Denver today to take my Durango in for some routine maintenance at the dealership, and also to drop our 95 F250 off to have some transmission work done. While we were waiting for the Durango to get finished, we were wandering around the lot looking at trucks . . . . . you know what happened! :nod: Yep, we drove home with a brand new truck:

Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Regular Cab 5.7L V8 Hemi.

It has just about every option except heated leather seats. We had a coupon from Dodge for a $1000 rebate, plus the other rebates they had going made a total of $3800 in rebates. Also, the dealership had already marked this one particular truck down about $4500 because it had been sitting on the lot for awhile and they wanted to sell it. So it was an incredible deal, which is why we went ahead and bought now. We spent right at what we had budgeted for, but we had planned to get a base model without much for options, to keep the price down. Now, I will be plowing in the lap of luxury. :D

It is blue with silver trim. It was dark by the time we got home, so I could not take any pictures yet. I was hoping for either red, white, or black, to match the Blizzard plow, but for the price, I won't be picky! The blue is a really pretty color anyway.

Now we just need to get with Howard about that Blizzard plow! :D

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Im thinking about buying a new F-550 dump and fitting it with a Blizzard 8611 and a big V-box. I need a smaller dump for towing my stump grinder.

14. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I actually thought I might take a couple of months off from thinking about snow, until I got a call the first week of April to qoute a large job. I've been balls to the wall since payup.

15. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Karen, Sounds like Steve finally made the decision on which truck to buy...LOL I was hoping to hear he found a F350 or 550 on the way back. Glad to hear you were able to get a good deal and wrap it up way before winter. It's alwayw nice to get one that's loaded for near the base price. Never imagined getting a Lariat package myself. Always had the vinyl or steel floor. Now have to use a carpet cleaner instead of a pressure washer.

Better put away some $$$ for tires. That Hemi's got lots of power and will turn and burn in a hurry.

16. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Hey plow babe good luck with your new dodge. keep us posted on how you like the truck. It is always exciting buying new equipment. one of my favorit things to do :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2003
  17. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Yea let us know how you make out with the hemi.That truck should be a good pusher.:)

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

We may pick up a few loaders,and a few 5 tons for salt,if we get the work expected for the upcoming season.Will probably just lease for the term of the contract,and buy out at the end if neccesary.

Most of our other equipment is old,but already tricked out,so not much updating to be done.

Bought a new house,but I guess that's not really equipment. :p

19. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a new Miller welder and a Thermadyne plasma cutter with some of my plow money,funny how that works,the welding supports the plowing and vice versa:p .I picked up a 00' Chevy 3/4 ton this spring so that needs a plow,toss up between the Fisher 8.5 or Boss 8.2 V,time will tell,and if funds still exist,i would like a Snowex sander for that truck also:)

20. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Those plasma cutters can do a number on concrete too. Hemi who? Ahhhh choo cummins!!!