1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to do about this?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gkp, Jan 31, 2009.

1. gkp

gkp Member

At what point (or size) do you go from charging per bag of salt to per ton?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

As soon as you go from bags to bulk

3. gkp

gkp Member

Yeah I guess I deserve that............. lol

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

LOL for real that was funny guys.

5. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Haha..

I'd say anything past 500-1000lbs or so, just to stay competitive in pricing. I wasn't planning on doing much salting this year and then got a contract that requires one ton, and all I can spread is bagged. So, I'm spreading 80lb bags for 10/bag.. which kind of sucks, but it's my loss that I dont have a v-box.

Other jobs I'm getting upwards of 15/bag for bagged, requiring 4-5 bags.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have two hitch type salt spreaders. 1 has a very small capacity of about 250 pounds, the other has a capacity of 750 pounds. So my price break on salt to the customer happens at anything more than 1 hopper full of the big spreader. So at 800 pounds of salt or more I give the discount.

7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

When you use more than 1000 pounds per outing . I'd change if you have a place to keep, load, buy for a better price.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I go from bag -25 to bulk when we leave the sidewalk. Sometimes the walks get bulk too. I'd have to say whatever works for your application/applicator just keep in mind you will pay twice as much for bagged, but if you are only using a few bags per lot it might be easier to use bags.

9. gkp

gkp Member

Here is my delima................... I bought 24 tons of bagged salt hoping to sell some soon. but now I have some larger lots then I had 2 months ago so I have a v box but I am loading it with bagged salt. If I have to drive 10 miles just to spread 100 pounds of salt I am not going to charge by the ton, I would go broke. So I am just trying to figure at what size would paying per bag become too expensive for the client and put me at a disadvantage due to over pricing.

10. cretebaby

I would just charge a per application price

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

x2....

charge per application and you should use whatever is more cost effective for your business..........bottom line is the customer could care less weather you store your salt in a plastic bag or you store it in a pile, they care about $$$$$

12. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I've always charged this way . just so when the switch happens I'm the only one that cares .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  13. Jay brown

14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

LawnPro,
    You should be at atleast 30 cents a lb. for bagged salt. That's what we're getting here. This is regardless of the size of bag...50 or 80. The only difference will be is that you save a few bucks per to by lifting 80's as opposed to 50's. Myself, don't think it's worth the injury potential lifting wet 80# bags to save 20 bucks a ton. I can throw 50's all night..and you can even grip the bags by the top of the bag, but when it comes to the 80's, it is a wrestling event with each bag when they get the slightest bit wet, as you have to get up under them. Like a say, a lower back injury waiting to happen. Not so bad when the pallet is mostly full, but when the levels get down toward the lower tiers, then it's a different story.

15. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I know that's what I should be getting.. unfortunately I just cant charge that much for this job, with it requiring one ton of salt. The going rate for 1 ton around here is 190-220 (ish), at .30/lb, that would put me at 600. Next year I'll have a nice Vbox or big liquid set-up..

16. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I disagree with bag being twice the price this year. I couldn't get bulk any cheaper than bagged this year. I won't admit how many tons we have spread, but I can assure you, I wish I could get ahold of bulk cheaper than bagged right now. To answer your question, you need to figure how much you apply annually. Know your costs of additional equip to apply bulk. Know your costs and availability on both bagged and bulk. Make a decision. Good luck.

17. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I too am stuck paying almost the same for bulk as bagged product. I could get bulk at the begginning of the season until my supplier cut me off. Now, its all bagged loaded w/ a forklift over the truck!

18. Jay brown

not sure what you all are paying for bags but they would be higher here...bulk is 39.50 for fine and about $50 for rock salt, FOB...

19. cretebaby

Ya Ya Ya we know LOL

20. Jay brown

it's not all glory, still gotta truck it 300 miles......my trucker on last nights deliver must have be smoking it, he said the mine is about empty and they are now 5 miles underground...