1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to do about the town plower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scooled101, Jan 19, 2009.

1. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

I will start off saying I am not putting anybody down but I as well as others in our town have some issues with the guy that plows our town( pop 200 yes small) He usually comes late when its snowing so people have a hard time getting anywhere, he doesnt follow up to often either. I just went out and cleared 4 road openings in town where the state plows have been throwing snow for 3 days now , there was at least a foot of snow in every spot. Also he does 2 out of 8 alleys in town for some odd reason. so i do 2 of the alleys and i normally dont do the road openings but people could not get out to leave and I have witnesed and i have experienced almost being hit by road traffic going by at 60-70 mph People do not stop around here so if you are stuck half in and half out the road you are going to get hit. In our town the main road goes right through town and as soon as you get to our town is it 2 S turns so its all blind spots. Now the guy is nice he always waves to me and admires my little plowing machine I use so I do not want to be rude. The neighbor caught up with the guy and asked about him plowing the alley for him so the guy did 1 time and has never done it again. So fellas what do you say I do? I do not mind helping the people here so they can get to work but I am not getting payed to do it, he is so shouldnt he do everything rather than picking and choosing.

2. Sounds like a bunch of ignorant A--holes if you ask me. Who in their right mind would see a stopped stuck vehicle ahead and not stop and would rather just hit them...

As for the plow driver, contact the city. For all you know he may be doing what he is instructed to do...

3. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

there have been a lot of accidents and a lot of animals hit here I had a 2,000 dollar dog get hit while i was in the garage with the door open and the person didnt stop or even hit there brakes. the neighbor just lost his to last month the same situation he was just closing his garage and someone hit his dog, I know they shouldnt have been in the road and neither of our dogs ever went into the road on very rare occasions they would get next to the road. the speed limit is 40 as soon as you get into town but even the police do 60-70 through here.

Also our town is 200 people there is no reason why he cant do the spots he dont get or even follow up. I do know our little town pays very well so the guy may just say heck with it because he got the streets. Just not very professional to not follow up.

4. Well I come from a town of only 200 people as well and we often just let our dogs and cats roam free and never have I had a dog hit by a car.

The town being small does not make it it's own country. It has to play by the state laws so I would contact your Governor and explain what has been happening in the town with the speeders, cops, accidents etc... The quicker you act the quicker you might just save someone's life...

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

deff need to talk to the city about the plowing job....you never no what the situation is till you talk to the man in charge.....as a taxpaying citizen of your village you deff have a right to express your views on the plowing job and maybe YOU can make the difference and make you village a better place to live....

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'm supprised pd/fd haven't said anything???? House on fire and I can't get to it!!! Thats a problem. Also ins prem's must be high.

7. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

I guess you should feel lucky they didn't hit your 30,000 dollar wife or your 18,000 kid.

8. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

no but my wife had a broken pelvis and a broken hip from a car wreck another accident odds are she wont be able to walk and my kid is worth a lot more than that glad to see you are one of those people that can put a number on a person you love.

I plow one of the alleys very well because of the fact it has the fire hydrant for house in it

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i would jsut say , before you post or even question his job... have faith that he does what hes suppost to

if you dont think so ,... then before jumping the gun, check with the city, and see what he is suppost to do , and why not those other areas...... for all you know they are private property owned by someone... that just isnt taking care of them

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would contact the city, let them know what the residents think about the services. Offer to help out as a sub contractor using your truck...give them a price that you think is reasonable.

11. Govbradst555

Govbradst555 Member

That was my point. I wasn't trying to be negative. I was surprised that the reason u were upset about your dog was because it cost u 2,000 .I refer to my dog as my best friend not my $50 dollar dog cause thats what i payed for him.
    On a more positive note. I agree with what other people are tellin you. I would try and turn your problem around. Instead of spending your time,gas and money. Make money off it. I would apply for the job. They obviously need another truck for touchups and alleys. maybe have a few female friends call and complain about gettin stuck the day before u go in and apply.
    I had an older man tell me a few years ago. sometimes ya got to lie your way into a job. BUT in order to keep the job u better be able to prove yourself when the time comes
    A job u didn't have =100% profit

12. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

my town is the exact opposite they were winging banks that were less than a foot tall, plow asphalt and have destoyed my mailbox, i fix it and then ding it so the door dont shut. nothin like milkin a job imo

13. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

Well everybody in our town knows everything thats the way small towns are, i do know he is supposed to do everything in town is is used. the alley with the fire hydrant we actually own but we cannot do anything with it because the city says it has be open for people to use as well as the FD in case there is an emergency. As I stated at the beggining of my post "I will start off saying I am not putting anybody down" because The guy is nice but the driver doesn't understand that things need to be done every time he plows not when it takes 3 people to get him over to do something. Also I have seen him follow up but he doesn't do it often at all.

I am going to talk to the guy myself and see if I can work something out if not, then I do think we will talk to the city or to our town board about trying to fix this. Maybe he could use a little help and I could make a few extra dollars,of course I am not trying to cut anybodys throat or take food off of his table by no meens, but the things he doesn't do can honestly cause somebody there life or in the case of 2 people I know around here almost there jobs because they could not get out numerous times. This is where I stepped in and have been cleaning so people can get out. Not everybody has a 4 wheel drive to use when there is a foot of snow blocking you to get somewhere.

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Don't bother talking to the guys. As you said multiple times, people get nowhere with that. Talk to whoever hired him to find out what he is supposed to be doing.

15. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

yeah I guess I will just go talk to the city and try and figure it out Its hard for me to be an a$$ so it seems like i always try to work out the problem before in this case ( I dont want to get anybody fired) Perfect timing to we have our town board meeting tonight so I guess here goes nothing.

16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I wouldn't do it at the town meeting just yet. I would pull the town administrator (if you have one) aside and speak to them about it or whoever the boss would be. Maybe as easy as that. Then if that doesn't work stand up at the town meeting and demand what your tax money pays for...safe roads.

17. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

that was going to be what I did first and if nothing is done then I will stand at the meeting and I am sure there will be others more than happy to join me.

18. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

Bring it up at a town meeting sounds the best. No need to ruffle too many feathers though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  19. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

this is true, I have been thinking about painting my trucks haha from all the neighbors nobody really knows who the guy is besides he lives in the larger town 5 miles from here. I did see his truck at an auto repair shop and i am thinking he owned it but its not a very big shop. So I am pretty sure he knows a lot of people and to be honest I have never really seen as many plowers in another town as there is here. Most of the other plowers in town do not wave or even look they just turn the cheek but of course I have lived here less than 2 years. So yeah I am sure he knows everybody and it could probably kill me out for buisness completely if he wants it that way.