1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do about price difference on a new Sno Ex Plow???

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by DomaD, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DomaD

DomaD Member

Hi everybody, new to the site here, so much information, i appreciate it, so here is my dilemma. I have a sno ex dealer about 15 min from me, I am putting a lite duty 7200lt plow on my 2015 GMC Canyon. The dealer close to me wants $3850 plus tax installed. There is a dealer about 45 Min away that only wants $3520 plus tax installed. What would you do? I dont mind driving 45 min to save over $350. I will only be using this to clean my driveway and some of my tenants spots here and there when they move there cars, but i will not be using this for commercial applications. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback on what you guys would do. Is it worth it to take the trip?

Chris

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How long will that drive be when the plow breaks and the dealer closer to you won't work on it because you decided to by a new plow from someone else? Around here dealers always put the customers that bought from them ahead of those that didn't.

Did you try talking to the closer dealer about the price difference?

3. DomaD

DomaD Member

I brought up the price difference and he more or less said you wont have to drive 45 min when you have a problem and we offer 24 hr emergency service, but i wont really need that. Do you think i will insult him if i ask for a lower price?

4. kimber750

Are you insulted by the higher price? I would be weary of dealer that is not willing to match another dealer that is so close on the same product. But like I posted early it already sounds like the closer dealer has no intention of working on the plow unless you by from them. Dealer support is IMO the most important thing when buying a plow because it will break at some point. And most of the time it is when need it the most.

5. DomaD

DomaD Member

I am definitely insulted by the higher price, as the exact same product 45 min away i dont see why it cant be matched. I feel they are being greedy. As a small business owner i feel like he should match it. But there is a pickle here as you said when i need a repair what do i do.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why should he price match?

7. kimber750

Why shouldn't he? Dealers around here do it.

8. dieselss

Would you/op go into a gas station and ask to price match a station down the street?

My other thought. the closer dealer, has the op ever visited/bought from them before?
    The one time buyer is supposed to get a deal why?
    What if the place 45 minutes away is a huge dealer and can afford to lower cost.
    Just the limited info we have, sounds like he already said he "won't need service" to the closer one and that struck a nerve?

9. kimber750

First, a few bucks and a few hundred bucks is big difference. To make your comparison more realistic look at Lowes and Home Depot. They will not only price match but they will beat the others price by 15%.

I am sure there are more details we don't know. The dealer I use will match the price of the dealer that is only 20 minutes away. He still makes money and most the time gets a loyal customer out of it. Maybe this guy doesn't want any more customers, maybe he thinks that since he is open 24hrs he can charge more. No idea just stating my opinion and IMO it is a bad business choice to not try and get this guys money, even if it it is at a slightly lower cost.

10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Any dealer probably has to do the warrenty work if he sold it or not. But you ain't gonna be first, he will take care of the loyal customers first. One dealer may be on a different purchasing level.

11. DomaD

DomaD Member

Well he will have a loyal customer as i plan on buying a toro zero turn mower from him as well for next year. I just dont want him to get pissed when i ask him to price match and i lose the dealer completely.

12. dieselss

To make your comparison more realistic look at Lowes and Home Depot. They will not only price match but they will beat the others price by 15%.

I'll agree with that, however nationally owned vers local owned.

And more of the backside might be needed.

13. kimber750

May I suggest you make him a deal then. Ask for $350 credit towards the future purchase of the zero turn.

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If your doing your own drive and you don't need 24 hour service then forget that guy. If he won't match the price then he doesn't care and just wants your money. Could be by the time something breaks the warranty would be over anyways. Most places stay open during a storm anyways. So you drive a few extra minutes big deal. Your not doing commercial lots anyways where there's a time frame you must be done by.

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It's a tough call, offer to split the difference at 175, both might be happy and have peace of mind.

16. DomaD

DomaD Member

I would be happy splitting it due to having him close by, i guess i have to put a price on that. How should i approach it, the next time i call just come right out and say "will you match the price at so and so place"?

17. dieselss

Call. Hell no don't call that's like a slap in the face. Go in, talk face to face

18. DomaD

DomaD Member

Thats what ill do then, face to face, ill go in next week when the plows come in and talk to him.

19. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

I would spend the $350 and get done locally. It's going to take you 2 hours to drive there and back, plus the wait to have it installed which will take hours. If you don't wait while it's installed your talking about at least 3 hours of driving going,coming home and drive back to get it.

20. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Although not necessarily imprtant to you, as I understand it the higher priced dealer offers 24/7 service.There is cost to a business to do that and it really says they are there for you.