1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to do about early snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by exmark1, Oct 11, 2009.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

What does everyone else do when a snow comes early? We have forcasted up to 2 inches tomarrow... which is ALOT sooner then we normally get snow here by at least a month!

I have yet to hear back from 1/2 of out customers, we send out a mailer the end of September and then they call. Would you just not do any of the ones who havent called or do the repeat customers or what would be the best option.

Or leave all of them alone since it will melt soon anyway?

I am honestly at a loss on this one... Any help/advice would be great!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I presume you are talking about resis. If it's going to be gone by Tuesday, I might not touch them. On the other hand, do them all. When they call, you can be mister nice guy and say you wanted to be sure they were taken care of. They will lock in, or tell you they went with someone else.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Why not make some calls to the people who haven't committed? You'll find out where you stand with them pretty quick.

4. exmark1

I thought about calling them all... That would be ALOT of phone calls since the majority of the residental customers haven't called back yet. It's a normal issue in October since we haven't had that early of a snow in a long time!

5. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

If your not Im sure someone else is calling .I have already spend a day on the phone and then some, it all depends on how bad you want the work? I want all the work my crews can handle so Ill make the calls and even stop in to talk to them in person.

6. exmark1

This is true...I have had alot of calls coming in today from customers since it's in the forecast

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Glad I'm not the only one, waiting on 100+ contracts. I'm sure the phone will ring off the hook when the snow starts to pile up. It would be nice if everyone would not procrastinate on the contracts! Will wait and see.:dizzy:

8. exmark1

I just went through... waiting on 91 WTF!!!!!!!!

Does no one listen to the forecast...

9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Make you want to charge them up the a** for putting off their decision!!!!:realmad:

10. exmark1

Ya we are going to be flying by the seat of our pants on this one if it comes... It's mid 40's and all the snow we had is melted now. So hopefully it's warm enough that anything that comes won't stick to lots & driveways.
    We are planning to start cleanup of yards tomarrow!

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

When the snow comes early here, like last year, I get really pissed off, because it cuts into my hunting season. Nothing like having to climb out of your tree at 7am because you just accumulated 3" on my shooting rail.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If needed I would plow your very best customers and leave the rest.

13. exmark1

Well as usual the forecast changed... We only have a 30% chance of flurries and scattered snow showers. At least for once I got what I wanted

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

yup... slid south and now we're getting 2-3" in the metro!

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

This morning they started off with 8", then by noon it was down to 6", a couple hours later it was 3" and now it's a 30% chance of 1-2" :dizzy:

I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

16. exmark1

I have never trusted weather forecasts very far in advance... If we only get an inch I am just going to let it melt. All the plows are on and waiting just in case!

17. big acres

big acres Senior Member

At least the hype will get people to make a flipping decision already.

18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I've been thinking about this one today with the snow forecast. The conclusion I came to, is that there's a few properties (those run by big management companies) that will need to send their contracts in before I do anything with them, or I may not get paid. We'll see how many show up first thing in the morning (thank goodness for efaxes)... There's a few commercial customers that I've had for years, and have told me we're good to go, but that haven't sent in their contracts, these will get serviced as well. The new accounts that we've neither heard yea or nea, will get a friendly reminder call in the morning.

They're saying we're going to see 2-3 inches, but the bulk of it is going to come between 9am and noon, and with highs between 35 and 40, it's going to melt off right away anyway. At best, I think we may see some icing early in the morning when it starts, or possibly some icing tomorrow night if it doesn't all melt off before temps drop in the evening...

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

That is what I was going to say. Nothing like an early snow to get the contracts rolling in.