1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What To Do About Air Bags?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yzf1000_rider, Feb 10, 2005.

1. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

OK HERE IS A QUESTION I DID A SEARCH ON AND DIDNT FIND ANYTHING OUT. I HAVE A 1999 DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB WITH A 7-6 MEYERS DO I NEED TO INSTALL A CUT OFF SWITCH FOR THE DRIVER AIR BAG AND IF SO HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING IT. I HAVE NEVER PLOWED WITH A TRUCK THAT HAD AIR BAGS SO I WAS JUST WONDERING IF I HAD TO DO THAT OR NOT. THANX FOR ANY HELP ANYONE MAY BE. :drinkup:

2. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I've plowed with mine connected for 2 seasons now and no problems.Guess I'll just have to duck if it goes off! :waving:

3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

My 98 has been fine also.

From what I understand, the airbag sensor isn't activated by just a jolt (as you might get if you hit a snowbank).. the sensor is inside the frame, and is activated on contact (you would have had to severly damaged the vehicle to set off the airbag)

Thats what I was told anyway.... And so far so good.

Plow at or under 10mph, be aware of whats under the snow, and be slow and precise when you do plow, and you shouldn't have any problems. And your truck will like you more if you baby it.

Glen

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry about it. We have 2 94 Dodges, 1 96 and 4 Fords all 2000 or newer and haven't had a problem yet. This was a big concern with everybody at first, but I have never spoken with anyone that has actually had them go off while plowing.

If they do, you have a lot more to worry about than a deflated airbag hanging from the steering wheel.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

On your dodge the inertia sensor it located in the cab, mounted to the tunnel, under the heater duct, the little box..
    you could always pull the fuse if your really concerned..(but it still could go off)
    The air bags will not deploy at speeds under 15mph, and at that speed you would have to stop dead or get hit real hard .
    Ive been plowing for years with my 98 and the bags have never deployed, I had the same question when I started plowing with a vehicle with air bags.
    IMO

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Pulling the inertia fuse won't solve anything- the air bag system has capacitors that hold the charge requires to deploy the bag- the bag can still deploy for safety in case the power feed line is severed before the bag deploys or if the inertia switch fails.

The bigger issue is simply if you hit something hard enough to deploy that airbag when plowing the bag iteslf is the least of your concerns.
    The Airbags also use cruse sensors in the front end which are inoperable with a plow on- and severly hampered with any truck mount pieces that remain when the plow is off (the Fisher push frame for example) because of the added steel and consequent resistance to impact.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

8. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I think he meant 'crush' sensor. typo.

The airbag sensor in my '01 2500 is on the tranny hump at the floor where the heater outlets are, just like he said.

9. Mark Oomkes

The actual sensors that will cause the airbag to be deployed in a crash are either in the bumpers or right at the frame by the bumpers. The 'sensor' on the hump is where the signal will go that the airbags should be deployed, basically the computer to deploy them.

Like what has already been stated, if you hit something that hard, you will want them to deploy and the deflated bag hanging from the steering wheel is the last thing you are going to have to worry about.

I wouldn't be so sure that they will or will not deploy under 15 MPH. I have been on one accident scene where the individual had his deploy at a crash at 10 MPH. He brought it in to get adjusted and the next time he T-boned someone at above 45 MPH and it did not deploy. My air bag did not deploy when I T-boned a truck at 25 MPH + (not sure, I wasn't looking at the speedometer).

If you can get your work done going under 10 MPH, good luck. I know this is dependent on type of work, but on a parking lot chances are you won't be going under 10, not working for me anyways.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

o.k> I MIGHT BE WRONG BUT !!! On a Dodge there no sensors in the bumpers i've taken them off there no sensors there. frame rails? I don't think so !!Been there to. the wires go to the inertia sensor under the dash on the tunnel to power, to air bag.....with an inertia sensor never mind....LOL :drinkup:

Don't wory about it you'll be fine....

P.S. no speed plowing, speedy, It's to Hard on the equipment!!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  11. Mark Oomkes

I could be wrong as well, but most vehicles have the sensors mounted up front someplace and some have them in the rear corners as well. They sense the impact and send the signal to deploy.

12. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

Hi there i talked to my western dealer and they test there plows on different types of trucks in a front end crash test just to make sure that the airbag doesn't go off just from plowing snow. they also crash test it without the plow to make sure that blade bracket doesn't affect the trucks crumple zones hope this helped.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I don;t have a factory repair manual right here to find the locations, but there are 2 impact sensors, a left and a right on Dodge Drivers only airbag systems (I have the Airbag diagnotcis manual in front of me) Pins 5 and 6 are the left and pins 12 and 13 are the right on the 13 pin connector from the control module which is the box on the tranny hump in the cab. Since the sensors have wire out of the controller the sensors are not part of the controller.
    Based on the diagram of the sensor shown in this I believe they are mounted on top of the frame rails almost immediatly inside the core supports. If you really want to know I Can have a service manual in a day (it's at home I'm at work)

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Thanks.. for the onfo justme-:drinkup:
    I won't drill or weld there then :nono:

15. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

Thanx For The Info Guys I Was Just Worried About Them Deploying When I Was Plowing But Looks Like I Wont Have To Worry About That As Long As I Keep The Speedo Under 65 Mph.... Just Kidding Thanx Again