1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to charge?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sno-problem!, Dec 14, 2009.

1. sno-problem!

sno-problem! Junior Member

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the industry and I have been charging $20 per service for residential snow removal. For some houses there is a driveway and sidewalk, others just have a sidewalk.

I see other companies around here charging about $100 a month or $250 per season.

This is in Alberta, where we have long ass winters and lots of snow, and I just don't understand how these guys are making any money. Off of one customer, I make in 5 days what they would be making in a month for the same customer.

Is there something I'm missing here? How do you guys prefer to charge? Monthly? Seasonal? Per Service?
  2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

what are you comfortable with ? stay with that .
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$20 is WAY to cheap for around here.
    Prices vary ALOT in different parts of the country
  4. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

He's in Canada...... Not the US.

If you are making a PROFIT with your current prices then maybe bump it up to $25 or $35 per service.
  5. sno-problem!

Thanks guys..

Yeah I'm in Alberta, Canada. There's a lot of money here and we haven't felt the hit of the bad economy as bad as most places have, so I can see people willing to pay a little more. I have definitely been considering bumping up my prices, but when I see all these other guys charging next to nothing it made me second guess myself. But I just don't see how they are making much profit.

Any other guys from Alberta??
  6. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

what is fuel cost in Alberta ? my prices go from $15.00 to $25.00 unless they are in the country with a long lane, they run $35.00 to $50.00 just off the top of my head.
  7. sno-problem!

I should probably mention that for now, this is done by blower and shovel, etc not by plow. That will be coming soon though!

As for your question, fuel is just under $1.00/ Litre... not sure what that is in your american gallons lol
  8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Here in Fredericton NB, the minumum for a driveway (small) is $25, no shoveling. I know of some guy's charging $375 for the season (16 plows) even though a real good season for plowing resi's is 12 events with a 3" trigger.

I charge per visit, no contracts. I start at $25 & I do not shovel.

I see your from Edmonton, Let's go OILERS!!!!!! Oil fan since 1980.
  9. sno-problem!

Haha ehhhhh another oil fan!!!! Right on!

See a seasonal rate of $375 for only 16 plows isn't worth it to me. Ive already been out about 6 times doing snow, so it won't be long till I'm over 16 plows.

If you guys are charging $25 per push out there, then I should obviously be raising my prices.

Maybe I will consider raising to $25 for driveway alone, and $25 for drive and sidewalk (for standard lots).

You guys charging extra for corner lots? Or extra long drives?
  10. usmc274

usmc274 Junior Member
    from 43148

I have am min. of $35.00 a driveway,no salt,and then $55.00 hr. for commercial lots no salt,
  11. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

Around here guys will charge anywhere from 25.00 - 35.00 per push and an extra 10.00- 15.00 for sidewalks and maybe another 10 to throw down salt. That can add up pretty fast for people so maybe throwing in a discount of 10 percent to do everything or something along those lines. I bid most driveways for 35.00 this season and ended up not getting many accounts so I think I'll eventually start them at 25.00. One strategy is to canvas whole neighborhoods and keep your accounts as close as possible; it eliminates a lot of driving time and you can charge less but still make the same amount of money. I've heard of guys doing lots for 15 bucks but they've got 30 houses all within a block or two.

and USMC274...semper fi
  12. SamWJones13

SamWJones13 Member

We also have those guys that will charge $250.00 for the whole season which comes out to 10 bucks a push if you base it off 25 plows. To me that's just nuts so I'll stick with the per time rates so I have less chance of getting screwed. Plus if you do it per push, you know you're making money. If you do a seasonal rate, you figure "I've already got the money... what the **** am I doing here"