1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to charge

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by teamgreendude, Mar 10, 2011.

1. teamgreendude

teamgreendude Senior Member

Okay guys I have 2 of 4 big sites figured.
    Lot #1 is approximately 4,391 square yards
    Lot #2 is approximately 1,704 square yards.
    The question I have is how much should i charge to plow/salt these 2 lots? The 2 addresses are 3800 west 75th street, Prairie Village, KS, the second address is 11261 Nall Avenue, Leawood, KS. Enter it in google maps because I can't post a link.

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Approximately 1 hour of plowing + 800lbs of salt
    1/2 hour of plowing + 300 lbs of salt

3. teamgreendude

How much should I charge? I'll have the other 2 locations ready(I'm calculating the square footage as we speak) and have you google mapped both?

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Teamgreen, you've been on here since 08 and your asking how much to charge? Havn't you seen ALL the posts about this topic????......:rolleyes:

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you researched prices in your area? Do you know your costs? Have you used the search button on this site to see if anyone else has asked this question? I can't tell you what to charge, I live in Ohio, you live in Chicago. To tell you the truth, if there is a guy that plow the lot next to you, his charges might be different than yours, for the fact that no two companies are going to have the exact same cost base. Do some homework and price the jobs yourself.

6. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

personally, i'd charge per occurrence

lot #1.....$1936.44 no salt for up to 6" of snow, and $193.00 for each additional inch.

lot #2.....$855.22 no salt for up to 6" of snow, and $85.00 for each additional inch.

7. teamgreendude

I've been doing commercial sidewalks for the past few years and these are the first few lots I'm going to plowing on my own. Btw I'm a pictures form guy:nod: I'm also going to buy a new 8' or 9' boss v-xt plow and maybe a skid steer to, the one I'm looking at is a 1993 new Holland l785 with 5,374 hours on it. Is that to much ?
    Thanks,
    James

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I wouldn't buy a machine with 5,374 hours on it!

9. teamgreendude

I'm just trying to find a decent new holland l783-l785 but most of them were beat to hell, but i don't want to sink $15,000-$30,000 into another debt payment. So i'm just looking at ones from the l-783 to the lx865 or something like that.

10. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would agree, hours and age to much for me.

11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I understand but that is a lot of hours! 2,500 at the most if you want a reliable machine and get a couple more years out of it.

12. teamgreendude

Yea I just emailed a dealer who has one with 2,150 hours, I'll wait to see what he says on it. I also found photos of the last 2 sites so tell me what you think.
    Site #3 5811 Northwest Barry Road, Kansas City, MO

Site #4 4741 South Arrowhead Drive, Independence, MO
    Also does anyone know how to post these from google Images ? Also these two sites need prices for both plowing and salting.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Not everyone can buy the nicest newest stuff. A 93 with 5k hours is actually low hours for the age. Not saying it's a spring chicken, but I'm sure the price reflects it. 5k hours does not mean it's gonna die tomorrow. I know of machines with 30-40k hours and they're still ticking.

2,500 hours tops??? Really!!?!? Nonesense.

14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

[​IMG]

You mean this one?

15. DodgeBlizzard

16. DodgeBlizzard

17. DodgeBlizzard

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  18. teamgreendude

Crap it looks like photo bucket deleted them for some dumb reason.

19. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

up to a 6" snow...you'd be safe at 20 cents a square foot without salt per occurence, hope this helps

20. DodgeBlizzard

I've done a lot of reading. I think that's the first I've ever seen anybody give square foot price to plow. Sure beats the typical ''you have to know your costs''. I like it.