1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to charge? Too much? Too little?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mgnaraujo, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mgnaraujo

mgnaraujo Junior Member

I can tell you one thing.... PRICING is a pain in the A**, who can simply tell me what they charge to plow per yard or per sq. ft without the blah blah blah.... simple enough to understand because just the stress of being new to the business is enough! Thank you guys for all the help!
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

I'm not being a smart a$$ but:D
    33 views so far and no one can answer that question but you.

Really, this number is unique as your business is, and the price the market will bear for your services.

What is your cost, overhead, dept.
    Income needed to cover our costs of doing business and a little thing called a profit.

Now you have $$$$$ to charge, no matter the method be it per push, inch, seasonal etc etc....;)
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There simply is no way to charge (fairly) using the sq yd or sq ft method. Two sites of the same size can have totally different characteristics.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Around here the normal rate for a 2 car driveway is $25- $30. Hourly rates for a plow truck seem to be in the $75-$90 range. I sub-contract myself and my own truck out to a good friend in the business and I charge him $60 an hour. Hope this helps.
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Man! 75-95.00 per truck must be nice,lol. We average 90-120" of snow a season and we have a tough time breaking 40.00
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im my commercial seasonal contracts I average $150/hour
  7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

The best advice I can give you, is to figure your expences, ( time, fuel, ins., ect. ) then figure how much money you need to make to be happy and there you go. When I first started out didn't have many accounts so I decided that instead of plowing 3 accounts then going home I would charge a little less and pick up a few more accounts. I didn't work for free, but by being a new operation and working solo I could afford to work a LITTLE cheaper. As far as a per sf goes you will not get an answer from anybody here. Simply because there isnt one. It all depends on how bad you need the work, where you are, obsticles to plow around, and most importantally what the market will bear. I have an account that has to be done by 4 am, no excueses ever, absoutly no ice or snow on their lot ever. I charge alot more for this account, but they need it done and we have never let them down. Now I have a lot 1/4 mile up the road that just has to be done by 9am on weekdays, I don't make as much on that property but their needs are a little different.

I hope this helps, you just have to feel your way into it, and remember your time is worth somthing. I think the biggest prolbem new guys do is not charge enough.

Good luck, BOSSMAN
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Brian...if you figure $25 a driveway and get 4 done in an hour you make some good money. On my route most of my drives are just a few minutes away so that saves driving time. We had 21 plowable snows last year.
  10. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have a formula that I use to get a rough idea for a seasonal contract. First I take my city's average snowfall, which is 120 inches. My accounts like to be plowed every 3 inches (which never happens). I then try to figure out how long the account will take to plow. 1.5 hours for example. Then figure how much I'd like to make an hour. (I like $150/hour)

So 120inches (total snowfall) divided by my trigger 3 inches = 40 times plowing the account.
    40 times plowing X 1.5 hours per plow = 60 Hours of plowing the account
    60 hours X $150/hour =$9,000 seasonal contract for plowing only.
  11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds right to me payup
  12. mgnaraujo

mgnaraujo Junior Member

This Formula sounds like the way to go! Thanks everyone!
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  13. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

What? to Charge? too Much? to Lillte??

as a Plower for more yrs tham most on this Site have LIVED? You received ALL the BLA BLA all right--even the Highly Educated PROS Advice? was More BLA BLA BLA--Hes bulding a Space Craft?-- MICK said It BEST--every Plow Jobs Differant--a Pinch of COMMON Scense & how long it takes YOU?--& You have to make a PROFIT--Easy Enough?--to FIGURE! Now GO Plow some SNOW!--OleTower--
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: your Just repeating the bla bla bla......

That's what we told him already. bla bla bla

But your posts are easer to read with
    out all the ---????!!!!,,,,....----- bla bla bla
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  15. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

This is what's hilarious about snow. You're in Iowa, I'm in Minnesota.

Other than (2) 20+" snowfalls at the end of the season, I had 9 plowable events last year, and I plow at 1".
  16. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

we have all diffeernt size driveways hear but i wont tuch one for under 35bucks...and then with lots i dont do under 125 includin slat...there is one i do that is the size of a big driveway that is 75 w/salt but it is a family friend
  17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

5 cents/ sq foot