1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to charge per driveway

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nyplowguy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. nyplowguy

nyplowguy Junior Member

Hey Group I am new here and I just wanted to find out what is a good price to charge for an avarage driveway this will be my first year plowing and I am looking to make a few extra dollars during the winter lay off season thanks guys

2. azandy

azandy Member

Every Town, City, State is different. Call a few companys and ask them approximate charges. Please don't ask them to come out and look. I hate that when people do that to me. Here for an example, $30.00 per plow is the going rate for driveways. Now you have to find out how much the added insurance you need is and in some areas you may need to be licensed to plow. Also don't forget to figure how much tax you'll need to pay and how this will affect your unemployment check.
  3. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

I learned the most and quickest by reading (after I clicked on the search button above).

Welcome to the Plowsite!:waving:
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Screw the U P check...It's called survival..... In the worst of times.....
  5. nyplowguy

nyplowguy Junior Member

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys
  6. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

What??? Worst of times??? The unemployment check plays a big factor in deciding whether he is going to do a few drives under the table of if this is a legit business.
  7. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I wasn't sure of prices in my area so I asked a "retired" plow guy from my area what the going rate was then adjusted acordingly.

I also told my first customer (on her voice mail) her price would be x but if I could get a few more driveways in her area I may be able to do a little better on her price. When she called back that night and told me to stay in touch and let her know if I found any customers in her area I new my price was to high. I waited her out for almost a week and then called her back and dropped her price and she agreed right away. I only had to drop it $5 dollars and she was thrilled. Come to find out after picking up more customers ("Im not sure what your last guy charged but I could do it for $35 per plowing, sometimes I will have to come back more than once per storm" customer; "oh thats what he charged thats fair)

You should really really look into upping your insurance, If you think your only going to do a couple here and there and the insurance isn't worth it...think how much that car in the driveway you just plowed into is going to cost you.

Just some things to think about...Good luck.
  8. south mountain

south mountain Junior Member

talk about ins., 14 years ago during the blizzard of 96, I watched a guy pick up a car in his loader and dump it on the snow pile--- very interesting
  9. azandy

azandy Member

Here in Wisconsin, when I just had one truck and had personal insurance on it, they said an accident caused while plowing for money would not be covered. I had a small legit business with liability insurance on the business, but not the truck. It wasn't much money or a big deal to change it. You can say you were not getting paid but the insurance company will decide that.
  10. RichG53

Under the table until you make some big BUCKS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  11. RichG53

If you are getting a U P check and plowing for $$$ .. Just consider it as your own personal BAIL out money..Big business is getting BAILED out why not you ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Like I said earlier it called SURVIVAL....Your just not getting it handed to you ...You are working for it...
  12. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

you have any pictures of that ?
  13. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Good man!:drinkup:
  14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

in aswer to your question
    What is you'r "average driveway" I'm sure its not the same as mine!