1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to charge for my plow an time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawngrasshopper, Dec 5, 2005.

1. lawngrasshopper

lawngrasshopper Junior Member

i can really use some help on finding out what to charge for an hourly rate for my plow and time. this is my first year plowing on my own and imnt sure what to charge. i would be a sub i guess you can say until i can get my own commercial accounts.i have a ford f250 4x4 with a 7.5 myers plow and a optional salt spreader for the back that i have yet to put on. can you give me some advice? thank you.

2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

pay per hour

Easy to figure:
    cost of truck, insurance,plowing insurance, maintenance, repairs, business expenses, your time= hourly rate..

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

If you are going to sub its not necessarly what you want to charge , but what the other guy will pay . If this is your first year , he will be paying you to learn . Going after commercial accounts with 1 truck can be a disaster unless you have reliable back up . If your 1 truck goes down and you dont get the jobs done you are screwed .

4. lawngrasshopper

ITS NOT MY FIRST YEAR DOING THIS ITS MY FIRST WITH MY OWN TRUCK.THERE HAS TO BE A DOLLAR AMOUNT TO AT LEAST START FROM DONT YOU THINK AND THATS WHAT IM TRING TO FIND OUT GETTING WORK AND BIDDING HAS BEEN THE HARDEST THIS WHOLE YEAR FOR ME BECAUSE IM IN BUISNESS FOR MY SELF AND NOT WORKING FOR ANYONE.

5. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Alright I will be the first guy to tell you what I am getting. For the two lots that I am being sub contracted to plow I am getting paid $75.00 per hour. The one bank lot I am told is a 1 hour minimum charge to the bank. If I can get it done in 20 or 40 minutes then I make $75 there or 1 hour and $75 just depends on how open the lot is at the time. The other lot has a grocery store and about 12 other stores in the same strip building with two free standing buildings at the front of the parking lot near the street and all of the rear behind the main building has to be cleared also. I am told that they the guys that plowed this lot last year were doing it in between 6 to 10 hours. Then on to my own commercial customers that are flexible on when I get there, which is great for me. I am charging $100 per hour with a minimum 1 hour charge for most lots that I hold the contract on. One small realtor building with 9 or 10 parking spots I charge $55 per push. The mobile home street that I got tonight is fine paying the one hour minimum for one push in with the wings on, then backing up and one more push on the left which is about 1/8 mile but is a tight fit between the cars.

So there you have a starting point but remember I can probably command more money because we get less events down here and the market is probably a little stronger here price wise also.

Good luck.

6. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Well first you need to figure out your costs (fuel, repair costs, insuarance, licensing, bonding, new equipment costs, office supplies, salt etc.) then you need to do a little math and figure out what you can charge. Everyone has different overhead. Some guys can afford to charge $60 an hour per truck and not make much unless it's a big operation while others need to clear over $180 an hour per truck to get by. Where you out of in Cleveland?

7. JTW

JTW Senior Member

First you need to figure out how to turn off the caps lock... Then go from there. ;)

8. lawngrasshopper

north olmsted

9. lawngrasshopper

thers one of you every where you go.

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

In my area that plow would get you $75 an hour subbing for a commercial company. The average is $10 a foot.