1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to charge for de-icing application

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by First Responder, Oct 29, 2012.

1. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Got a salter this year for the truck. What are others marking it up to customers? ( 100-150-200% ) Then add in additional $ for your time to apply it and equipment usage? Example: i pay 5.00 for a 50# bag of rock salt....i mark it up 100%....so now its $10.00..then i add my time and equipment use of 15.00.....so i would tell the customer it would cost them a total of $25.00 per 50# bag of rock salt applied to their property. I really hope that example made sense... this salt treated salt, calcium pricing is all new to me!!!
  2. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Buy for $8
    Mark up to $14
    Charge Client $20 to keep it stocked in salt bins around their property..
  3. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I have been marking up 100%, so a 50# bag I get for $8 I charge $19 per bag when I salt. I haven't added any extra on for my time or equipment but I think I might on my next few bids.
  4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Think? :dizzy:Might? :dizzy:Next?:dizzy:I'd suggest you do add on for time & equipment, if not for your self do it for all others in the industry! Besides how are you going to pay for your new spreader when the one you have gets old & or breaks?
    Trust me, it's a good idea!Thumbs Up
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Thats the right idea, I cant speak for your exact #'s but thats the system or at least should be. It will depend on your market & costs, make sure you really sit down & figure out what it truly costs. vehicle, gas, payroll, equipment, material, travel times(in storms) GL insurance, truck insurance, tires paper to print invoices, ink for the printer ect., ect, ect. then you have a better idea what you need & can charge.
  6. R3Dside

R3Dside Member

charge a lot, your extending yourself out there legally and definitely financially, I bought my first spreader this year for 650 and before it spreaded a pound of salt it needed a new controller to the tune of another $625!
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

buy in bulk...charge per 100#'s applied....all inclusive price
  8. dieselboy01

Your right, I didn't think of it like that. This is my first year salting and I'm trying to learn as much as I can, I will add more $$ on when I go out and salt. Thanks for the advice!
  9. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Dude.... did you sign a contract? if so, your price is THE price! Just learn from it and charge more for the next one
  10. dieselboy01

Yes I did sign a contract and I am learning from all of this. I charged x amount per bag used, I never said how many bags I will use so I will add one bag on every time I salt (use 4bag charge for 5bags) at 100% mark up. I think that will balance things out better this year.