1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to charge and what to say

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Brian's Lawn, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

i am new to the industry and have gone a few estimates already and i would like to hear if im saying the right stuff. i charge about $25-$30 for the average residential driveway. i say that i will be there with about 2.5"-3" accumulated on the drive. how should i do the billing????? and what time should i say i will have it removed by or should i just check with the customer with what they want????? by the way i only have a snow thrower and a shovel.

Thanks for all your help
    -Brian-

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Leave out the word "just" and that is right. Once you know what they want, then decide if you can deliver. Then follow up with service and collect thepayup .

3. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

im new myself but i think i got some sound advice so ill pass it on remember the word "no" i was told give them two options one being the way you want to do it, and one ridiculous option, dont walk in there with a question mark over your head "?" or they will eat you up and then YOU wont be happy this is a business deal your not there to make a friend. its worked for me:waving:

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If you give everyone the option of when they will be plowed, then they will all say "first". When people tell me they have to get up early to get to work. I say that usually we are up and running very early in the morning so it shouldn't be a problem. I also say that if they work with me - i'll be happy to try my best to work around their schedule also.