1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What To Carry when Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Aug 21, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys, I know this has been talked about before, because I remember reading the thread, however thats all I remember, is reading the thread, I dont remember any of the facts, and I couldnt find it, lol.

Anyway, its my first time plowing this season. What kind of spare parts should I carry with me for my plow for those unforseen circumstaces? Its a 8ft Curtis mounted up to a 2001 Chevy 3/4 ton.

Also, what else should I carry other than a flash light, tow strap, tool box, and first aid kit?

Thanks Guys.
  2. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

shovel,chains,straps,cell phone, for sure like u said a tool box,gloves thats what i bring....
  3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

cool thanks. What about parts for the plow. I remember someone saying something about a selenoid?
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Spare hoses,fluid,motor for plow if you have it,propane torch and pins for the plow.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Come-A-Long if you need to transport after loosing hydraulic fluid. Snacks. A couple gallons of spare fuel. Change of socks, boots, insulated coveralls, something to lay on in the snow. And a hat. My lesson from last year - paper towels and some windwasher fluid for when your windshield motor wiper goes out in the middle of the route :realmad: . The only good part was I found out it was covered under warranty on an eight year old truck (seems mine wasn't the first one).
  6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Don't forget a 5-gallon pail of sand along with that digging shovel. Its saved me many tow calls.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A couple bags of Magic Salt works real good, too. Unless you're like me - I carry two yards of salt/sand with me. :nod:
  8. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i don't no what you need to carry it depends on what you are plowing and what equipment but here is what i carry between my rigs not the same things on everytruck. my sanding trucks need alot different things than my plow trucks and my 04 i carry the tools i might need for the skid steers. so here goes with my list. i am sure i will forget some things;
    all trucks;
    fire extinguishers
    jumper cables or 25' towing jumpers
    25' log chain and rigging
    flash light
    small tool box; screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, fuses, electrical tape,
    orange washer fluid
    antifreeze, oil power steering fluid, brake fluid, atf, plow fluid.
    wiper blades
    other stuff we carry;
    9000lb. receiver winch
    wheel chocks
    propane torch
    spare Lynch pins
    box o of rags
    grease gun
    sledge hammer
    digital camera
    bag of work gloves
    spare socks and shoes
    cover alls
    CB radios for truck to truck communincation on site
    2ways to talk to guys in the skidsteer's
    spare twelve volt warning light for renting skidsteers not equipped
    blank invoices
    ruger 45acp
  9. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering who would mention this.
  11. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Yup, a solenoid. The black thing that the electical cables go to. Looks like a ford solenoid. They are short money and go south at the worst time. A easy change out.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

What ever parts you're perticular brand plow is prone to breaking- I carry only a spare hydraulic hose , long enough to replace any hose on my plow and fluid to change it. That's all a Fisher is prone to. When I have the sander I carry a spare clutch solanoid.

Figure you're out in a blizzard ar 3am, you get stuck, it's 5 below, it's white out conditions and there's no houses for a couple of miles- what do you want to have with you? That's how I figure- and it'll never happen for me because of my route (too many houses) but I prepare for it. Space blanket (mylar), fire starters, butane lighter, couple "emergency candles' in tin cups (provide a lot of heat believe it or not), cell phone with car charger, couple shovels (metal and plastic), sand, salt, tire chains, emergency tire chains, socket set, basic automotive supplies to restart/keep running a disabled truck (knowledge of how your truck operates it essential too- I lost "ignition" in a storm one season at 11pm- no headlights, no guages, no run- but it turned over. I tied the fuel solinoid back and she fired- drove home that way and fixed)

Spare socks, extra sweater/sweatshirt, gloves and hat, couple cans of fuel, snow brush, tow chains (don't like straps personally), good jack (farm jack is nice), make sure you have a good spare tire and working tire tools (broke my trucks tire tool trying to change a flat at 2am in a blizzard last season- had to drive home about 6 miles on the rim to get a breaker bar and pipe to change it) I carry a 3 foot pipe for too handle extension, a couple short 2x4 pieces for jack blocking, and whatever else I feel I need that season. Oh, and window deicer and washer fluid.

COme-a-long is nice, but if you loose hydrailics with the blade down, drive into a snow bank- it will raise the blade like normal. Hook you're carry chain or pin, or whatever while the blade is up in the bank then back out and whalla- blade is high enough off the street to drive. Works for fisher's- not sure about other lift mechanisms.
  13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sidewalk guy(s), girlfriend(sometimes), extra gloves, ice scraper, electrical connections, fuses, tape, tools, shovel, extra plow fluid, plenty of cds, smokes, chew, and lots of pop and water.
  14. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

beer, chew :bday:
  15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

16. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Nice :D , Thats the best one so far.

Oh :redbounce COFFEE purplebou ,and Snowplowing CD :D
  17. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

18. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I always bring the dog.

19. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

The skyfi xm radio (best electronic investment ever) Thermos of hot coffee, nextel, cooler, tools,chain,shovels,and say, close to the edge or perhaps going for the one, 90125 or the ladder if it;s a small event. Always bring yesongs if they are calling for a blizzard!
  20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

lawn king

What do you keep in the cooler?