1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to buy?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Clarks LLC, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Clarks LLC

Clarks LLC Junior Member

My name is Blake I am 25 from Rockport Indiana I own a Lawn Care company in southern Indiana mainly focused on mowing and landscaping. I am a full time NREMT-Paramedic with a local EMS service and run my company. I have one full time employee and 50 weekly mowing contracts. I am looking to expand my business. My goal is to outfit both of my trucks with plows and spreaders. I am looking for some direction into what plows I should look into as well as spreaders. I currently have 2 trucks 2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax as well as a 2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 Gas. My main focus is to go into commercial snow and ice control. I am really looking for any tips I can get.
    Thank you,
    Blake Clark
    Clarks Lawn Care LLC

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss V plow 8.2 0r 9.2

3. Clarks LLC

Clarks LLC Junior Member

Is the V-Plow more versatile than the straight blades and expandable style blades or is it mainly preference. Just curious, I appreciate your insight as well.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes and yes. Only plow I would ever buy. Very reliable and easy to fix if something should happen.

5. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Don't think you would need a V-plow in Rockport...Maybe try a wideout or a blizzard.

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Paramedic ehh?
    Private or city or ER?
    And are you aware that asystole is a stable rythm too :p

But to your question, I'd say turn the older truck into the plow truck, put a salter and plow on that
    And just prep your new truck with a mount so it can be a backup

7. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The 2011 has a new frame and can hold a large plow much better (wish mine was one) so a nice Vee or expanding plow on that and a standard 8' on the 05. Most all plow companies make good products now a days so whatever type has dealers in your area is more important . Customer support is everything , so ask around to others in the buisness in your area who they use and if there happy with them. Having a dealer close that is open during storms is very nice.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9. Clarks LLC

Clarks LLC Junior Member

County service and it is stable yes sir. I was actually contemplating that idea I have looked at the salt dog bumper style spreader for the 2005. I have also heard a lot about liquid applications and have been looking into that as well.

10. Clarks LLC

Clarks LLC Junior Member

We have two companies locally that sell western and snow dogg plows. I have talked to a few guys that run western plow and they say they are happy with them however I still get mixed reveiws and no one in this area is really running with the snow dogg mainly western and snowex spreaders.

11. Clarks LLC

Clarks LLC Junior Member

I see some have work with a strictly hydraulic lift system and then others such as western use a chain and hydraulic lift any advantages or disadvantages to this

12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

I've got a direct lift (boss V)
    And I love it, now if my Hydrualic takes a crap on me, I can't short chain it like you can a chain lift plow. I've never had a chain lift so I can't really compare, I do know a direct lift is faster though.
    Now I'm sure you're going to be wondering Boss Vs western,

Western makes a good plow (the wide out)
    Boss makes a good product (vee plow)

I've got a quick medic question, when doing IO, would you do it in the femur or in the tibia?

13. Clarks LLC

Clarks LLC Junior Member

I have gathered that these two companies are kind of the industries top products.

Big Toe IO always in the tibia

14. Clarks LLC

Clarks LLC Junior Member

I am trying to out fit one truck with spreader and plow and then a mont for the second for around 10,000 is my goal

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have both hydraulic lift and chain lift. They both work well. The biggest difference I found is when traveling from site to site. When you go over bumps or dips in the road the chain lift will sometimes go up in the air and then come crashing back down. This is hard on the truck. I will still buy both models if given a good deal but if I am to buy new it would be hydraulic lift for sure.

Your budget of 10k can be reached if you buy used equipment.

16. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Western wideout. Its better than a v plow.

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say western and snowex. Really common products

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hate to say it Glenn,,,,both have there advantages in there own way. And the saying. Opinions are like a''holes. Everyone's got one

19. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

look into meyers plows i love my lot pro and super V2 plows..... also there poly hawk salters both have GREAT warrentys with them.

20. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Dealer support is a big factor especially for the newer guy that may have troubleshooting issues and lack some of the experience to manage issues himself. Between Western and snow dogg there is no need to elaborate...Western. Myself I would like to have all Boss equipment since I love their company and support as well as their product line for plows. For 10K you'll have no problem with what you mentioned. I would just get a poly vbox spreader used maybe and not mess with tailgate stuff, but it depends on what you need it for. Ideal scenario would be pony up for new Boss VXT for duramax make them do a deal to do truckside of 2005 ( buy used truckside ) and shop around for a poly unit that you could interchange between trucks with 2 guys in a pinch. My poly spreader is easy enough to move around but the stainless requires a piece of equipment to pull it which can sometimes be a pain,