1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to buy?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by the new boss 92, Sep 5, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

im going to probley be buying a new truck before winter and im really undecided on what to buy and im looking for a little help. I would like to say i want atleast a 3/4 ton with a deisiel, unless i buy a chevy then a 6.0 is ok. im trying to stay away from dodge because i dont want to deal with the trans issues on the auto's. there is to many options out there right now and i just dont know were to start and would like to just get some ideas on what actual owners like and dislike about certian trucks. this is something im lookingof along the lines of buying. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...1994323?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33607ad353

keeping in mind im want to put a v blade on the truck and im looking to buy possibly around january or febuary when everything is at rock bottom prices and financing wont be to bad on interest! lets here some opinions and the pros and cons.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry but I am not aware of what trans issues you speak of??? You mean on the trucks back in the 1990's and early 2000's? Man that was like 10 years ago. Get with the times!

3. the new boss 92

That's what I mean early 2000's. I'm not looking to buy supper new, but newer than I have and I want a 3/4 ton with a diesiel.

4. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

2004 dodge here and no tranny problems, she pushes snow in the winter and tows a trailer in the summer every day

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy that truck if I were you! I have one just like it, and it is a tank. Shows up to work everyday! The front end is solid on them as well. No problem putting an 8.5' V on there.

I will never, ever own another Dodge truck again. Stick with a Ford 7.3 Diesel, or a GM 6.6 Duramax. Keep in mind, the Ford front ends are heavy dutier due to the solid axle. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

6. the new boss 92

thats another thing glad youmentioned that, im not sure if i like the front end setup on the gm's yet i own one and love it. the 6.6 is an awsome motor aswell. i have driven my share of 6.0's but i think a 7.3 will outlast a 6 leaker anyday. im just not sure, what i want yet. i do know that any truck i get will have an exhaust installed along with piller pods to be on the same side. im just starting reserch early now so when the time comes and i find the right deal i can jump on it and not have to worry about it being there the next day.

7. the new boss 92

another thing that catchs my eye alot is rust, rust is going to play a big factor aswell like it would in most trucks people would buy.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Keep in mind, the GM front ends are just as heavy duty as solid axle trucks. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

PS. They ride REEEEALY nice.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Around here if you are looking for a truck like the one on ebay you should start looking now. They are very hard to find and a good one is even harder. It might take until Jan. just to find one.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First; See above

Second; I watch the market pretty close, it's part of my job I'm a snow removal equipment dealer. I think there will be a dearth of used plows/plow trucks and possibly new trucks on the market and I doubt any dealer will be offering discounts on left over equipment in January, while used stuff will be gone even sooner. Generally unless a truck dies few people sell/trade in a plow/truck mid-season. There are a lot of guys out trolling for these vehicles right now and will be snapping them up as fast as the come on the market.

Third; Interest rates are not going to get much lower. they are so low now the economists are worried.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/b...tes&adxnnlx=1283774547-uZ/9MccLhUlqZX64Bx7xIw

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you remember, if your getting a 01-03 Duramax, make sure the injectors have been done on it. And I wouldnt be scared of a Dodge, ive plowed with 4 Dodges, years 94-02 and I finally junked one last winter. Been plowing for 10 years. Rebuilt it with heavy duty stuff and on the road we go.

12. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I am also a fan of the Ford trucks, I feel that all the big three make good trucks but IMO Ford has the best all around work truck. It is true that it is had to get a V on a diesel and stay in the right weight numbers, but I run a V on my 7.3 and I feel that even though it probably is over weight a little the solid axle handles that weight better with less bad effects on tires and other front end parts then the IFS trucks do. My 7.3 has 225,000 miles on it and pushes snow just like brand new. I have had to do no major repairs besides a tranny at 200,000 but that is to be expected. Keep up on the maintence and you will be good to go with a 7.3. But in the end it is up to you, what you want, and what you can find and afford. I would think that right in the middle of winter would be a very expensive time to buy a new 4X4 but I could be wrong too.

13. the new boss 92

basher, the next truck i buy i am not buying anything that has had a plow on it because i have seen what some people do to when thy plow with these diesiel trucks. like rev them sky high when they get stuck, long periods of idiol,got to fast and not being abal to stopin time and hitting the curb at full flege stuff like that!

im just trying to stay away from a problem prone truck because i dont want to be messing with anything on a diesiel except maintain it and put fuel in it untill 200000k miles, if i bought a dodge then i know i would have to put in a trans somewere in there and i just dont want to deal with that!

i have driven my share of 7.3 and i love them even though the 6.0's push more the 7.3 is more reliable yet still have power to push and pull!, regaurdless of weight limits im getting d plates and getting it inspected so alittle more weight than normal doesnt bother me or the powerplant im looking at for the truck. unlesss i feel like getting crazy the i might look at a 9'2 boss but i do driveways and thats a litt outrageous!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most people don't look for used plow trucks with plows already on them for all the reasons you mentioned, when I refer to a plow truck I mean a truck capable of carrying a plow.

15. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the same boat as you, except I basically have my mind made up on a LB7 or LLY dmax. The majority of my driving is w/o a plow and with timbrens and a few cranks on the torsion bars it will hold a plow just as well as any other sfa truck. IMO IMO IMO I would much rather have the ride of IFS for 98% of the time I'm driving w/o a plow. No need for front end rebuilds every other season and it's pretty hard to ignore the allison especially concerning plowing.

16. the new boss 92

I agree with basher. William, I would love a dmax, they hold there value way to much and I won't beable to afford that for the next couple years cause I would only buy an 07.5!

17. WilliamOak

Why an 07.5? Only reason I said lb7/lly was because I cant afford a lbz or 06 lly, lol which is a shame because the 6spd allison is purty nice lol.

18. the new boss 92

That's another reason the 6 speen ally

19. WilliamOak

6spd came out in '06

20. the new boss 92

I know, but I'm just saying within though's two years but I want the 07.5. I'm really doing my reserch before buying a new truck because I wanna keep it awhile before I really upgrade I wanna make sure a diesiel is what I really really want. I'm just doing reserch now and look cause I will buy sooner than later if I find the right one!