1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to buy - Western 7'6 HTS or Boss 7'6 Sport Poly - 1/2 ton resi and small lots

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Shawn S, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Shawn S

Shawn S Junior Member

Shopping for a new plow. My top brands (due to dealer location) are Boss and Western.
    The dealer is recommending a Western HTS 7'6 (steel) or a Boss Sport Poly 7'6. Which would you go with and why?

We do residential and a couple small apartment parking lots.

The truck is a 1991 Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab 4x4.

2. Shawn S

Shawn S Junior Member

I should add that the Boss is $180 cheaper than the Western.

3. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

I bought the Western HTS. I am not a fan of the poly moldboard. I would rather have a dent than a hole it you hit something. The western actually weighs less too because of the style of the mount, and needing less bracing with the stronger steel moldboard. The HTS has bigger and better hydraulics as well. Either plow would be a good choice, but after doing my research I chose the Western.

Good luck!

4. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

The HTS is the same plow as the Fisher HT. If you search around this site, you'll find people who have the Fisher HT and the reviews are 50/50. With commercial applications, I would step up your selection. Either Boss or Fisher

5. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Westerns and Fishers are similar, I would step up from the HT to the SD series with Fisher, or the comprable Western series

6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Compare the features, feedback from users and make your decision from there. Dealer support is also a huge issue, unless the same dealer sells both.

7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Can't go wrong with either one. Boss or Western.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The Boss Sport Duty is a better plow than the Western HTS IMHO.

9. Shawn S

Shawn S Junior Member

Same dealer on both.
    Plow will be in the garage when not used.
    We manage rental properties, and plow use will be minimial by your standards. I could probably find four hours of use after a decent sized event.
    This plow will get us through the next couple of seasons and then we will add a newer 3/4 ton to the fleet and will go with a larger plow then.

10. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

Well I plowed 6 residential and 3 commercial properties last season and not even a hiccup. I plowed 2 of the commercials with a friend of mine that has a Boss on a 3/4 ton Dodge. He had some issues and commented on how well built the Western was even though it was for a half ton when he borrowed my truck for that day. He said he would rather plow with mine because it handled better and was more maneuverable. I'm sure the Boss would be good too, but compare the components and then make your own decision. I am far from brand loyal, in fact, after seeing Meyer has a V-Plow for a half ton, I may be trading! Depending on the payup

11. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I got a 98 Z71 with a Boss 7'6" and I had zero issues with it. Very easy to hook up and go. I actually drop my plow after plowing to save on wear and tear on the truck being its a half ton. Altough, I have never owned another plow either so.

12. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

my dad has the Western HTS on his 2010 Silverado.... He doesn't like it one bit. Just sharing.

Keith

13. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

Elaborate on what he doesn't like about it.

14. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

He has never been a fan of plows that run on a ram like that because they don't "float" quite like a plow that has is using a chain system that runs along the pavement a little nicer.... I have plowed in his truck when my Jeep had been spending downtime in the shop and I had no problems.

He does, however, love the ease of putting plow on and taking it off. It is one of the easiest plows IMO to get on and off.

Hope this helps!

Keith