1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to buy to run a 12' pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoFearDeere, Nov 25, 2012.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Wondering all the experts think...will a John Deere 83hp 4x4 tractor push a 12' box without problems? Trying to figure out if I should look for a used payloader or buy a tractor that I can use for other things. Whatever it is will have a 12' pusher and the pushes will sometimes be long, but not too long.

2. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I guess if it was me it would depend on how much summer work I had for the tractor. How would you mount it to the tractor? Personally I wold never want to put a box on a AG loader and if your going to make some custom mount its getting kind of late. Id much rather push it with a loader, you'll be able to steer, push better and be able to stack with it too.

3. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I think its more about the weight of the tractor rather then the hp.
    I have a Deere 5083e and the biggest blade they would recommend and sell was
    the horst 9to15 snowwing 3200 series with the frame mount parallel lift.

I think with a 12ft box full you would want a 10 000lbs machine to go any long distance.

the difference between the loader and the frame mount is substancial from what I have read online. the frame mount can move more snow

in no way am I an expert. maybe next year :jester:

4. NoFearDeere

The 5083E is the tractor im looking at.

5. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I honestly don't think a 5083 will push a 12 foot box worth a cramp. Even if you can you'll be steering with nothing but the brakes. I would use a 444 size Deere loader or a 544.

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

The rear tires are loaded also.
    I have seen a few for sale with 8ft and 10ft pushers on the loader arms So I think that is more realistic but like I said I have heard many say you wont steer well and there is talk of bending ect.

if you need the ability to switch to a bucket then you cant run under frame mount.

I like the 9ft because I can actually get in a between two trailers in a loading dock easily

photo.jpg

7. NoFearDeere

Thats the info im looking for. My thoughts were should i spend 45k on a new tractor and have fewer breakdowns and be able to use it in the summer of spend 15k less on a payloader and only use it for snow and might have more problems. But sounds like I would be better off with a loader, more power and meant for pushing snow

8. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

My buddy is selling an international loader for $15k, nice condition and ready to work. Pm me for his info.