1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to buy for new truck

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Chris-R, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

My new Ford F250 just fits in my garage by two inches or so. If it was any taller, I would be in trouble. I want to put some sort of warning light setup on the truck but I surely can't put anything on the roof. I was thinking of hideaway corner strobes but I've heard too many people say how the front strobes give them a headache after a while due to the light reflecting off of the snowplow. I need 360 degree visibility as I'm out in the worst of weather plowing a very busy area with some narrow streets. Any suggestions on what I can do to get 360 degree visibility is appreciated. Thanks for your help.
  2. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Lightbar on the roof or back rack is the way to go. Hideaways in my opinion are OK, but a lightbar is better. Maybe a magnetic mount mini lightbar so you can take it off when you bring it into the garage. Just don't forget about it. Those Sho-me LED lightbars are pretty slim, how much space do you have to play with?
  3. NSRoadEng

NSRoadEng Junior Member

I am in the same situation - my RAM 3500 just clears my garage door with 2" to spare. I have a small magnetic mount strobe but since I have just landed 2km of private road and +40 driveways I need something more permanent. I have been thinking about some LEDs that could be mounted anywhere. I found some that seem reasonably priced at Extreme Tactical Dynamics. I was thinking of making my own back rack since the commercial "Back Rack" is too high, and mounting some LED's on the back and side rails. Could also mount two sets above the nerf bar under the doors. Could also mount some inside in the rear window. I also need to mount a couple white reverse lights somewhere. Havent done anything yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
  4. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

As far as convienience and price go I think a magnet mount lightbar or beacon would be your best bet. It could easily be taken on an off when necessary.

If you want to spend more money you can obviouly slick top a vehicle and have excellent warning power but it is not as convienient to do and cost could get up there. Even if I were to incorporate a slicktop setup I would still run a small magnet mount beacon on the roof.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

do a rack and lightbar and get the hardware to make the lightbar flip backwards to still allow clearance....awdirect.com sells it, I don't remember how much it was or anything but that woudl allow you to do the bar and still get in the garage!
  6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

This may seem old fashioned but with the slope of the cab couldn't you mount a pole in the square rack wholes and put strobes or a beacons on the top of the poles? A couple Whelen Cadets are small and would do good if your look'n at halogens? You'll get the 360 that your look'n for and you can wire them simply! Just an idea!
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Sell the Ford and get another GMC. Should fit even with a fullsize lightbar since they aren't sitting way up on antique leafspring suspension technology. Problem solved.

Well, that's what I would do anyway.
  8. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Look on the Back Rack website, I believe they had a mount for a beacon that flips downwards when going into the garage, and when you've gotta plow just flip it upright.

9. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Heck just get a new garage or raise the door header!
  10. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

A 10 foot tall garage door should do the trick...
  11. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

Just do a magnetic so when you sell the truck you are able to move it to your new one without leaving holes for the new owener. I figured buy once and get a better magnetic one so it will go to my next truck.
  12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Chris, if you have a concrete garage floor, when it heaves and shifts in the winter time, that 2" could get cut to nothing real fast without you realizing the floor is moving. I have seen it happen. Ruined the whole roof of the vehicle.....not mine thank god