1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to buy, Boss vs Western?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by engine1wsfd4, Dec 26, 2009.

1. engine1wsfd4

engine1wsfd4 Junior Member
    from NC

I'm buying my first snow plow and I want to buy a good dependable plow. Whats your thoughts?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

OK ,I'll say a Boss V plow.
  3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

What Truck?
    What type of work are you doing?

Get a Boss........
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What he asked.....

What he said.....
  5. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

Which dealer is closest to you? We have a lot of western dealers around us so parts are easy and cheap to get. I run a western and the other guys I plow with run westerns so we do a lot of late night parts sharing to help each other keep our stuff running.

My vote is western
  6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

That does bring up a very good point......SERVICE, who's close to you
  7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I plow side by side to a Western MVP with my Boss V-XT. The chainlift Western will out-stack me up and down the street. It also seems to do a better job at back-dragging. Nice things about the boss V-xt are the flared wings for throwing the snow way over the berm, and the plow as well as the mount are less complicated, easier to adjust, and just seem to be a bit more solid all around. I have stack envy of the Western sometimes though.
  8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Finally, somebody gives an honest, unbiased opinion!! Thank you for that. I could sit here and say get a Fisher get a Fisher get a Fisher because that's all I personally use. I've never used a Boss so I won't bash them just because I own a Fisher.
    Bottom line is, go to both dealers, Western and Boss, look at the plows up close, talk to guys in your area about who has better service, etc. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference, chainlift vs direct, tripedge vs whole blade trip, etc.
    A buddy of mine has a Boss V, and swears by it. The only thing I don't like about it is the spring return of the wings. They all plow snow, it comes down to preference on the options, reliability and reputation of the brand, and service from your dealer.. Good luck making your decision
  9. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Glad to see this post as I am right there too on this comparison.

I like the fact both have full trip and a damper shock.
    What I am interested to learn is which one is more easy to mount/dismount as I will be removing often.
    Also which one has a cleaner underhood install of hardware.
    Another thing is Westerns "Pivot Bar" sounds like a great feature but when the blade is up, is it going to be swinging around?

I have a long trip to see either one at a dealer and have only worked on a BossV for a friend of mine.
    For my needs a V is not needed so want the straight blade.
  10. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i've used a meyer full trip and i've tripped it a few times, and tell ya what i'll take a trip edge anyday..
  11. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

At first that's what I was thinking except the ones I am looking at have a shock to dampen the function plus I can see hitting something taller than the trip edge would be rough and then you have the crud that gets packed into the tripped cavity.
  12. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I have the Western MVP and I feel it is easy to dismount/mount but I also have never heard anything bad about the Boss dismount/mount. One difference is with the Western UltraMount System there is virtually nothing showing on the front of the truck with you take the "feet" off. I will post a pic. The pivoit bar is a nice feature and it does not swing around, there is minimal play in it.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  13. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

That trip edge comes back so fast I have never had an issue with anything gettin the trip egde cavity. It is hard to get used to though. With my old straight blade full trip meyers it was easier to slowly find curbs, now the truck just stops because you cant see the moldboard start to go down.
  14. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Can't go wrong with the Boss or the Western.
  15. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I'm not sure which one is easier to mount, I've never seen an MVP hitch up. The boss doesn't require a kick stand or anything. Simply put the plow in V, put the controller in float, step out, flip two levers, press a button, disconnect the harness, and drive away. The plow balances/sits on the cutting edge only. Same process in reverse for mounting. I take mine off after every storm so I can lube the front end etc without crawling under the A-frame. Even for short trips during a storm I will sometimes take it off. Even though its a heavy plow, I can still manhandle the plow around when its off the truck if the mount isn't lining up just right. That's especially nice when the truck and plow aren't on even ground like snow pack etc.

The spring return can be annoying from time to time. Making you bump the plow up to make rearward wing adjustments when not moving forward. It also makes rearward wing adjustments nearly impossible when in reverse.

The pivot bar is nice, the Boss however had a good amount of pivot as well. Not sure how they work that out. Neither of the plows EVER "flop" around. That's been a major point in the Direct/Chain lift discussion. Most MVP owners will never complain about their plows seeming loose on the mount or the chain.

The trip edge helps the MVP stack as well, where my BOSS starts to trip during heavy snow stacking, the MVP stays rigid and stacks it higher. It's important cuz with the wet stuff, you only get one chance to stack it right. If you short stack it, it's there for good.

Pretty much sums it up. It's all in the details that will make the plow right for you.
  16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

There both good plows in my opinion If you get a Boss V get smart locks The one I use does not have them and it drives me nuts. I do like the better ground clearance on the ultra-mount when the receivers are removed. I wish Boss offered a trip edge V plow though.
  17. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the input & pics too!

I am able to view the under hood electrical layout of the Western product as they have complete literature online but I can't find anything on the Boss.
    Western's Isolation module that eliminates all the solenoids & relays cleans things up but I gotta find out how much one is if it fails out of warranty.

On the Boss site: http://www.bossplow.com/products/smartlight2 they claim they are using IR bulbs and if so, the only ones I know of are these http://hirheadlights.com/ which from experience are fantastic.
    Can anyone confirm if the Boss lamp runs all 4 on high beam or shuts off the low beams?
    Western says theirs is only a low beam yet uses an H13 bulb which is a dual filament so maybe their site info is wrong. I like the idea of being able to choose 4 lamps.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boss wiring schematics are in this manual: RT3 straight blade

Westerns Iso module system doesn't eliminate the various relays and solenoids needed, they simply place them all except the motor solenoid into a sealed non-repairable box..called an isolation module.

Western's wiring is expensive if you ask anyone who has had to purchase any, which consists of a harness made up of multiple individual harness's all tied back to the Iso module. And isolation modules are less expensive than most of the harness's believe it or not. Probably has something to do with the fact that they know you'll replace harness's before you'll need to replace a module. They know what sells.

The lows on the Boss's are HIR and yes their current plows '08 and newer have the dual burn feature.

Westerns are H13 which are dual filament. But they're not dual burn. You can have your high's or low's, but not both at the same time as intended.
  19. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Now B&B if you use the Chevy?GMC dual burn mod you can!
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The stock Fisher/Western wire is not really heavy enough to carry the load of dual burn. You need to mod it and cut in your relay down stream of the Iso module. And upgrade the ground conductor out of the headlight socket also.

Or rebuild your wiring from scratch :D