1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what to bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by eze, Oct 10, 2013.

1. eze

eze Junior Member
    from Mass

not new to plowing but could use this one as I have never bid on something like this. its a private road half mile long 30 feet wide with cul de sac at the end with a side street that's about 1/4 mile that dead ends. its all paved and straight. These are million dollar houses and have ocean views, which I know shouldn't influence your bid, but jut throwing it out there. The head of the association I am dealing with doesn't have a clue and they are cheap. Im guessing I wont get the bid because I was told by them they had a real cheap guy from 3 towns away that will do it, which they don't seem to see that may be a bad idea. Anyway I told them I would give them bid so I will keep to my word. Just looking for a per push price and I can figure it out from there. Im in Massachusetts in an area in which if 10 people bid on this job you would get 10 very different prices
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

without asking u a ton of questons or doing your work for you I'd say $100-$200 & for a heavier snowfall over that price. What I will ask you is do you know your costs? I don't know if you have any idea how long it will take, if not I'll tell you, I'd imagine it would take close to an hr if you got a 7.5'-8' plow.
  3. eze

eze Junior Member
    from Mass

I don't know what the price is they just told me it was cheap. As far as costs, snow plowing around here is not a reliable source of income. its hit or miss, being on the coast we get a lot of snow to rain events. Most just do it for some spending money. My truck is paid for so its pretty much just fuel. I view insurance as being paid for by other aspects of my business. As of now I plow some nonprofit parking lots, which I don't get rich on, but I don't mind helping them out. if I got this road it would just be a little extra money during a slow time of year for me. I have an 8 foot plow and did figure it would take an hour. its 2 miles from a lot I plow
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I do a couple subdivision's that have homes in that same range, paved, about 30ft wide and no curbs. I run a 8.5ft straight blade with wings on a F-350. I use $100 per mile for a straight push then add $20 per cul-de-sac for 4-8". I use a 60% bump for every 4" incrument from there.At the 4-8" slot I can do a total of 1.25 linear miles with 2 cul-de-sacs in about 40 minutes. Two things to keep in mind I'm not in Mass and my subdivisions are about 6miles from the closest town and I live about 1 mile from them.
    When plowing roads I'm running 15-20mph, at this speed the cutting edge builds up heat which equals alot of wear on it. I do compensate for this wear in my cost structure when a edge is running $160-180 everytime I replace it which is 1-2times a season depending on snow fall.
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Like Buff said, you better account for cutting edge wear in your price. how you going to pay for parts if they break on your payed for truck? Is your other parts of business going to cover that along with your insurance? I got to say you got the wrong frame of mind, your snow business should cover the costs of your snow business along with making a few bucks, if it aint I'd say your doing it wrong. This is just my opionon but I believe other will agree with it & so should you if you want to succeed.
  6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I take it this is for a HOA, PITA to deal with IMO. But, around here i normally charge around $100 for that size road and extension per push every 6". If they require a more frequent push say every 3-4" then i drop the price down to 75% but that is it. Same price for sanding or $100 a hopper if the storm is bad. If they do not like it tell them to put a $6k blade on the front and a $4k sander on the back of their Mercedes and go beat it up and down the road.
  7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'd want $140 a push @ 3" trigger....... with $30 extra for every extra inch of trigger..The bigger the trigger, the more packed in snow you have to fight...
    This works out to $40 a mile, because I figured 4 passes to get 30' and then added the culdesac and entrance off the highway..3.5 miles.

And I think that is cheap. Real cheap. Ask them if they would shovel it for $40 a mile!