1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by apalermo, Nov 23, 2004.

1. apalermo

apalermo Member

i'm told that mud tires are awesome for snowploing,then i'm told that all terrain are better for ice .what fricken tires should i get?

2. caz1

caz1 Member

I lve in the up of michigan and work for a tire company during the day i my self like the bfg all terrian ta siped witch any semi tire place should be able to do I also hear that the bridgestone dueler at revo is doing a awsome job but i would have those siped to. :waving:

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Regardless of brand the mud tires are not the best for snowplowing. Recommend the BFG all season or BFG all terrain. Tall and narrow.

4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

:nod:
    i have had 35" mudders on my truck and never had a problem

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I am refering to a tire that will give good performance while snowplowing and then give a nice ride when we are not. Still recommend an all seson or all terrain for all around performance.

6. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

What is siped I hear it alot on the tire discussions?

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Just for some info . you can buy a tire groover from a race shop/supplier and do it yourself. i dont know how much a tire shop would charge but you can usually get a groover for around a $100. I use it to groove and sipe race car tires all summer..

8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

It is small slices across the face of the tire tread. Siping began in the 1920s when a meat plant worker named John Sipe got tired of slipping on the floor. He decided to cut grooves in the bottom of his rubber-soled shoes for better traction.

9. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Let me throw this in that the BFG's A/T are not my first choice of tire for plowing, I used these tires for one year. I found that they like to gum up or clog up to much. From what I found the BFG's A/t are quiet on the road. So if you can deal with a very very little bit more noise you would be better off with Goodyear MT/R's these tires are great for snow/sand. If you drive alot the BFG's might be for you. Me I average about 40,000 miles a year and I still use the MT/R'S which I also pull a 5TH wheel trailer.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  10. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I'd go with the BFG Comm Traction tires in a 235 or 245. I've got a set on my one plow truck and used them all last winter and they worked great. And we even got some 2-3 foot storms here in the mtns and they went through everything, even has good traction in 2wd.

Don't buy Coopers, their sh*t and they don't work. I put a new set of their M+S Snow's my new truck and during todays snow, I couldn't climb any mtn passes or hills in 4x4. They don't stop on ice, and you can't make turns on ice.

I'm takin them off Wed and junkin them. Gonna put on a set of BFG's like my other truck has.