1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what tires to get

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kedz42, Jul 19, 2009.

1. kedz42

kedz42 Junior Member

Hi I do about 40 res accounts Im using a chvy 1500 looking for the best tire to get I was thinking BF All terrains any suggestions?Im going to stick with the original size. what you think?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My BFG AT in size 285/17/70 have worn down pretty fast. I should get 3 seasons of plowing out of them, which is about 12 months total on the truck. I haven't used the tires in the non-snow seasons at all so they are wearing fast............

3. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I'm currently running Goodyear Wrangler ProGrade Silent Armor's year round and love them. They do an excellent job in all types of weather and seem to be wearing very well. Worth the money, I think. So much so that I put a set on my wifes Pathfinder this past winter.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For best results, get a set of dedicated snow tires (M&S or Mud and Snow). All season tires are just that - kind good for this and kind of good for that, but not the best for either. Power and torque are a good share of the plowing equation, but without the tires for traction, all the power and torque in the world wont matter.

5. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I agree with Mick to a point. I chose to go with the Wranglers because they are severe weather rated (the little mountain & snowflake), meaning you would not be required to use chains where most other tires would need them. The ProComp A/T's have this rating and are excellent tires as well, but were far too pricey for my blood (at least in my area anyway). I could not justify purchasing a dedicated set and an additional set of rims.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Dedicated tires would obviously perform the best, but seeing that you are in IL like myself.......we dont get the snow some of these other guys get, and its pretty flat here, so its hard to justify the extra set of wheels/tires IMO.......I am planning to replace my 07 3500 stock tires (215/85 R16) this fall with a 235/85 R16 all terrain tire (not sure on brand yet). Like what has been said, they are good at everything but the best at nothing.....proper ballast and a decent all terrain tire, and you should be good 2 go.

We have had a set of BFG all terrains on the blazer we run for 4 seasons now, and they have performed flawlessly....and still have a couple more seasons to go yet. This truck rarely gets driven the rest of the year, which is a factor in the extended tire life...........

There is a site you can go to that will give you the run down on tire sizing, and what your limits are before you start getting into problems.....I think if you type in "tire sizing" something will come up?.........IMO, if you are running stock tires now, a slightly taller & slightly narrower tire will make a huge difference without getting into modifications. The replacement tire size I showed above for my 3500 is "almost" 1.5 inches taller & 1 inch wider. I would like to stay the same width and get a slightly taller tire, but I couldnt find it for this truck.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Round tubeless pneumatic tires are most common. There are dozens of threads on this. Guys are as crazy about the tires they use as the color of their plow or the emblem on the grill. Some guys like the super aggressive tires, others prefer a milder tread. I personally run Mastercraft MSR with studs in the winter. Most dedicated snow tires have a very mild tread, with lots of siping and small blocks. I have plowed with several different brands, these are by the best I have used. Truck calls for 245/75/16. My snows are 235/85/16. A little narrower, a little taller. Narrow vs wide will also generate hours of forum reading enjoyment.

8. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Treadwrights with the walnut shells in em.
    My buddy calls them "those nutty tires"
    100 bucks a piece and the best traction of any tire I have used, if the weight was good in the back and it was fairly flat then pushing in 2wd was usually all that was needed even in our bigger storms.
    Holding up very well with 10k so far, decent wear
    Oh boy there are lots of threads for this though, to each his own

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

NOT Dunlop Radial Rover AT's

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was just reading about the treadwrights. They look pretty cool.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No doubt:D

12. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Cooper M+S

13. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I've never heard anything good about Dunlop period..

14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I put a new set of Dunlops on my wife's car. The reviews on Tire Rack were perfect so I figured I was buying a quality product. Boy was I wrong. I think they make their tires out of concrete :dizzy: Seriously, they are the roughest riding tire I have ever had.

All I can say is NEVER AGAIN

15. Turf Commando

I'd like to add Dominator to the worst tire list ...

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I put a set of Silent Armors on my 04 and they were returned 2 days later. They killed my MPG and rode like crap. I have a set of Dunlops on now and they've been great.

17. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I agree with SNOCRETE

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  18. Turf Commando

Agreed... I have Michelin and they wear great only have 40% left on my A/T's but they can do another season if need be ...

19. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I got A set of Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 for my chevy dump and so far I love the tires. The look good and hold the ground well and so far have not worn at all and they normally are supporting 7 tons. I plan to get a set on both my fords in a bigger size before this winter. They are priced real well and have great reviews. I got mine here http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/ti...M+RF10&typ=Truck/SUV&postalCodeSelected=60193

20. Turf Commando