1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What tires to buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid, Sep 1, 2005.

1. PlowKid

PlowKid Junior Member

Hey Guys. Im new here and I have a 1998 Chev K2500HD Ex Cab LB 6.5TD 4L80E. I bought it a few months ago and love it. I will be moving to Colorado and I would like to get into the plowing business. (even though Colorado doesnt get a TON of snow.) Anyways I need to get some new tires for my truck. I have 265s but I am going to run 285s. Does anyone have any experiance with the Nitto Terra Graplers? I found them for a good price and like the way they look. I know some guys running them and they swear by them but we dont have any snow here in So-Cal. Are there any othere tires I should consider? BFG ATs? Thanks for the input!! I look foward to learning fom all of you!

-Brent

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

tires

Utterly tons of posts on this subject.

I prefer the coopers, its inexpensive, load E, more siping than any other tire, good self clearing lugs. You'll find others that have better traction in deep snow/mud, but for plowing these are king. Remember after your blade clears the snow the pavement gets really slippery, all the siping on the tires grips super well.

Last spring I pushed a pile back too far and sunk in deep, after I shoveled the corn snow away from behind the blade, I was able to back out. Left one hell of a rut but the coopers kicked butt.

discovererMS.jpg

3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I wish Tire Rack sold Coopers. I would like to buy a set with steel wheels mounted/balanced. Tire Rack has a tire/wheel package with Blizzaks for about $750. shipped.I'm looking for the cheapest online dealer for the coopers so i can see if Town Fair tire can match the price.

4. PlowKid

PlowKid Junior Member

I searched and I couldnt find what I was looking for. What forum should I search in? I need these to be good all around tires for the summer months of cross-country driving and wheeling and towing my Jeep. Thanks for the help!

-Brent

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

it doesn't exist

I know what you mean, however I bought mine with the intention to put summer tires on but never got around to it. I still have PLENTY of tread left for this season and honestly, the coops ran just fine this summer.

If I remember correctly cooper isn't sold on-line, but I emailed them and the next day I had a reply and a phone call from corporate answering my questions and told me where I could buy them. Really great company.

6. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

A friend put a set of NOKIAN tires on one of his trucks last year.
    They're made in Finland.

Sayz they're the best tire in the snow he has ever had (65 years old too...that says something)

Google Nokian...
    I guess it's not just cell phones anymore ?

Next set I have to get, i'm sure as hell going to give them a try.

7. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

The Blizzaks are the best that you can buy imo. I've plowed with them for a few years and nothing compares. Remember they are a dedicated snow tire, you will ruin them running in the heat.

Roy

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You're asking for a lot- a tire that plows awesome and has great summer highway life- it's the holy grail.

I run Tire Warehouse's Toyo open country's for summer- when new they plow awesome. I perfer Goodyear Workhorse Extragrip's for plowing- everyone around here uses them for plowing but the are snow only- just like the Blizzaks you'll burn them up in a month or 2 of cross country (I know, I did it.)

Colorado gets dry snow, there is no slippery stuff underneith because it's mountain snow- you don't need ton's of siping like Michigan and New England plowers do. BFG all terraigns seem to be a favorite all year tire- they are snow rated too.

9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

the best snowplowing tires are goodyear wrangler mt/r's . Besides the awesome traction, they are made with a softer rubber thats great for snow traction