1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What tires to buy

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rjlawncare, Nov 3, 2013.

1. rjlawncare

rjlawncare Junior Member
    from ct

Im looking for ideas on tires to buy for my truck (2004 Chevy 2500HD). I have had a set of BF Goodrich commercial TA's and those were awesome in the snow and dirt and i got about 35k out of them. I looking for suggestions of other tires that would be good all around like that with a decent life span and good traction or if i should get another set of the BF's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. Jwhite50

Jwhite50 Junior Member

Toyo a/t. Are excellent on my F350's. Good on hi way and excellent in snow. Also have had Mastercraft coarsa a/t's and the worked surprising well but tend to chunk up a bit.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Dura Tracs
  4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

last time i got tires on my main truck i got kumho road venture sat 61's and they were great in the snow and silent on the highway, not so great in mud or gravel. got about 30k out of them on a supercab 8ft bed 7.3 diesel. on my other truck i put dick cepek fun country II's on it and they were better in deep ssnow but not as good on plowed snow or icy snow. but they are wearing like iron!! 40k on them and they still have lots of life left to them, i am extremely impressed with how long they are lasting. but they are very loud and kind of annoying to listen to, i drive a lot.

i made the decision this fall to get dedicated winter tires and rims and then all seasons for summer, so i wont be getting any all terrains for a while. but if i were, the goodyear duratrac was going to be my choice.

i also had the bf goodrich tires before the sat 61s and i hated them. they worked nice for about the first 8k miles and that was it.
  5. rbyrnesjr

rbyrnesjr Member

I am running General Grabber ATs and loving them. Great in all terrains and pretty quiet on the road.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've been running Duratracs for about 5 years on both trucks and just put the 3rd set on my 08.
  7. chebby1500

chebby1500 Junior Member

I've been running cooper discover AT3 on a f-250 for about 30k still have tons of tread on them great in snow, dirt, rain and off road. I just put a set of mastercraft courser AXT on my Chevy and they are just as good as the coopers just waiting to test them out in snow.
  8. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Just got a set of duratracs to try out. We'll see how they do.
  9. americaninny

americaninny Junior Member
    from NY

I love the Duratracs but they ware out quick, I got 20,000 miles out of them. This year I went with mickey thompson thunder trac, they ware out faster but I plan on useing them just in the winter then switching to a highway tire in the summer. The mickey thompson thunder trac cost $500 mounted and balenced at mavis tire.
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

You'll love the Dura Tracs
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

20K......the tire has 40k warranty and your dealer should have pro-rated the tires for pre-mature wear. I'm getting about 32-35k out of them on my diesel pickup and over 40k on my gas pickup. When I put the new set on my diesel this week I was given $20 per tire for not hitting 40K
  12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Flipped over from 2 sets of Yoko Geolanders to Cooper Maxx's AT's in 265 size from Discount Tire.Haven't seen snow yet but all other driving conditions are awesome.