1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What tires for my 2000 2500 4x4?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Crazygator, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Ok my new toy needs some new rubber and I dont know what to put under it. Its the 2000 2500 4x4 long bed. It has Michelins now.

I will be using this as a daily driver, especially with my lawn biz towing my trailer. Then setting up for winter.

Should I just go with what is on it, as in a highway type tire, or look at the Nitto's or similar?

Something that can be great in dry or wet conditions, plus an ok snow tire. Am I asking for too much here? :D
  2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

if you do any serious plowing you need a dedicated snow tire but they wear quickly so its best to run 2 sets of tires ......winter and everything else
  3. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Yes that does make perfect sense.

What is a good snow tire? Something with an aggressive all terrain type lug pattern?
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

After fitting many fleets with tires,I've found only a few I like.

For spring,summer and fall - Michelin LTX M\S.Not real aggressive,but a good,long lasting,quiet,all season tire,which will even do OK in the snow if neccesary.Second choice would be Cooper Discoverer AT.I've found them to be OK,at a good price.Lots of good reviews from other people too.

BFG Radial All-Terrains aren't a bad choice either,but they don't hold up as well as the Michelins or Coopers.

Winter - Cooper Discoverer M&S.After trying many.many snow tires without much luck,I tried a set of these a few years ago,and will never go back to anything else.The grip on ice is exceptional.They will last many seasons if you only use them in the winter.Price is good,and they are properly rated for 1 ton pickups (E range),unlike some other snows,which are only C range tires.

With the big heavy Cummins you'll want an E rated tire,or a D range with a max load of 3000 or so.For the snows,235/85R16 gives the best snow performance,or you could go 265/75R16 if you want them to fill the wheelwells better.

You can goto www.coopertires.com for all the info and specs.

Here's a pic of the Discoverer M&S
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here's the pic.

cooper ms.jpg
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Edit - double post
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  7. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

The BF Goodrich AT tires do come in load range E however, in only two sizes: LT235/85R16/E & LT245/75R16/E

I too have noticed from my experience and others who have them that they provide excellent traction yet wear down fast. FWIW, I was once told that Michelin uses different grades of compounds layered throughout the tread. The top surface wears more quickly, while the final layer closer to the wearbar indicators lasts much longer. Seems like some truth to that from the two sets I have had thus far.
  8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I had a set of the Michelins on my 90 Dodge 3/4 T 4x4. They were HORRIBLE ! I was working an 18 inch wet snow and kept getting stuck. I jumped in my wife's Ramcharger with marginal BFG A/T's and finished with no problem. My opinion, Michelin is only for summer. The Coopers look good. We have a 2nd line tire called Pathfinder that has been good and Discount tire sell with 40k mi warranty. Usually get 25k so each set has a little bit of discount from the warrany.;)
    I use 265's on my 3/4 Tons.
    Have fun... scott
  9. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

We run Futura Dakota tires, tread is very similiar to B.F. Goodrich AT, tires are around $ 30.00 cheaper each however. I just bought a new set, the old ones had 30,000 mi on them, & were shot, I wasn't too disapointed factory tires only lasted 20,000. Great in snow, we were running 245/75, now running 235/85( load range E tires.) Taller & narrower tire should be even better than others, which I had no complaints about.
    I've had Cooper Discovers "STT" version, were the worst tire I've ever had, loud beyond belief, no traction, expensive, & wore out very fast. I presonally won't touch another Cooper tire for what it's worth.
    Good luck.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2003