1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What tires do you run?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by snowplowdog, Nov 30, 2011.

1. snowplowdog

snowplowdog Member

I am looking to put new tires on my YJ for plowing this season. I won't be running them in summer as I have a set of 12.5 x 33" on aluminum wheels that I run all summer long.
    What tires do you have on your Jeep & what do you like/dislike about them?
  2. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Hello. I too have a YJ. You can check it out in the thread posted in my signature. Last year I used a winter tire, Yokohama Geolander I/T 235-75-15. This tire is highly regarded in snowy/icy regions like Canada and Norway. It was an unbelievable tire in the snow and ice. Major traction and with the Wrangler being as light as it is, it needs the extra traction! They were only $100 a piece through discount tire online. I plow with a Jimmy as well. It has BFG A/T KO and they were awesome too. Only difference is the Yokohama (dedicated winter tire) was much better on ice and packed snow. I ended up selling the Yokohama tires after winter and put on a set of BFG A/T KO's. The BFG can be used year round and my biggest concern is deep snow in which the BFG is just as good as the Yokohama. In your case I would definitely suggest The Yokohama Geolander I/T or a set of Blizzaks. You won't regret it Thumbs Up

Feb 2011 019.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I run Dunlap 33X1250 in the summer and 31X1050 BLIZZAK in the winter.

The Blizzak not only have a lot of siping but the rubber compound is also special. Great snow tire not so good for summer.
  4. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

31X10.50 BFG AT. I don't plow with my Jeep, I use it as a scout vehicle so I'm usually going through deep unplowed snow. The size I'm using is still skinny enough to dig down when needed or float if I'm light on the throttle. I have gotten great mileage from the ATs, even at half tread they have gotten me out of some snowbanks. They are also easy to find on craigslist cheap! I must have 4-5 extras I have picked up over time and keep on spare wagon wheels to swap out when needed.
  5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Treadwright Guardians with kedge grip 285/75R26. Great great tire. They are retreads so that might shy you away from them but I run a 35" TSL on 15"rims during the summer so these will get maybe 4500 miles a year put on them at the most, so i figured I'd give them a try. So far, they've plowed 2 storms and if I wasnt in need of the extra clearance and sidewall that the 35's provide offroad, I'd run these all year. They have the same tread pattern as the older style MTR's and in my eyes for the money you cant find a better tire. Those that have had problems are inevitable just like any tire but it seems Treadwright is staying pretty true to their word with the warranty and such.
  6. bschurr

bschurr Member

If you have the luxury of a dedicated wheel & tire combo for winter only I would strongly suggest a purpose built snow tire.

Personally I run 30x9.5x15 BF Goodrich A/Ts on my Jeep all year round and they do great in all types of weather - the tread pattern is aggressive and during the massive snow stoms that we expereinced in the NY Tri-State area, my TJ romped through everything - no problem. That being said, my Jeep is not my daily driver and is typically only driven in rain or snow...

This is my first season with a plow and during the freak storm of 10/30/11, plowing 6 inches of heavy wet snow was not an issue and the BFG tires gripped well and provided great stability.
  7. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Family of BFG A/T's here. I have them on all three of our trucks. IMHO, the best tire you can buy.
  8. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I don't plow with jeep though at 73,000 miles I still have the original 30" goodyears on and they worked good mud dirt sand snow.
  9. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

BFG AT up close

Feb 2011 022.jpg
  10. jweiss

jweiss Member

Blizzak DMV-1, 245-75-16 on 8x16" wheels. They are 30.5" OD. Incredible grip on my steep icy driveway.
  11. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

BF Goodrich Commercial Traction T/A. Loud as hell, a stiff sidewall, grip and wear is great. 60k on mine and have only lost 3-4/32" with year round driving. In deep snow I've had to navigate unplowed forest roads to recover some injured snowmobile riders. Jeep was small enough for the trail and was able to fit a full body back board in the back for the injured driver. I ran these on my last vehicle in the 285/ 75 R15 size on a 96 Cherokee.Miss my 96, but my 99 will run a smaller variety of the same tire but being it will also be a part-time fire and rescue squad use for getting injured people off the snow mobile trail and back to an ambulance I don't need more height than a 31" tire. We don't use the pull behind sleds for recovery as they do not provide heat and it's too hard to run IV's without them freezing up. Not only that one person is able to provide care to the patient on the way out which can make a major difference. 4 wheelers were fine but trying to get two guys on one in turn out gear was not going to happen. We are trying to get a Polaris Ranger 4-door 800 HD for the vol. fire dept.

Tough part is you must not get off the groomed trail.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  12. snowplowdog

snowplowdog Member

Thank you everyone for the input. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the blizzak's or winterforce. The deciding factor will probably be where I can get the best deal!
  13. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

Do you know where to get the Blizzaks?

I run stock size tires, and Tire Rack and Bridgestone themsleves do not carry any Blizzaks in stock sizes.

Any help is appreciated
  14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Your stock tire is 27.1 inches in diam

a 215 70 15 Blizzak is 26.8 inches in diam
    a 235 75 15 is 28.8 inches in diam

Any of those will work I spent 10 minutes on tirerack.com to get that info
  15. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

Thanks for the info.
    I did not check it as you did, I spoke to Bridgestone and you had better information!
  16. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

Just picked up a set of Winterforce for my GF's car and was extremely impressed with the tread and siping. Have no idea how they would do plowing however.
  17. snowplowdog

snowplowdog Member

Went wit the winterforce P235/75/15. Picked up a set of 5 of them mounted & balanced for $500.00 now I just need some snow to see how they perform!
  18. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

i've plowed with the winterforce before on our toyotas and they are unstoppable with some weight in the bed. no local distributors had or could get the winterforce in a 225/70/15 or 235/75/15 so I went with a studded Cooper M+S 235/75/15 for my 95 wrangler this year. hopefully they hold up better with a Jeep. I've had them on my f350 and they work great for one winter and they're trashed by the next because of the weight (even being a 10ply).
  19. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

BLIZZAKS ALL THE WAY, They are amazing in snow and on Ice. I swap them off in summer months
  20. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

31 X 10.5 BFG MT's year round.
    I've run the same size in the ATKO's
    and never noticed any difference
    other than the MT makes a little more
    noise on pavement.

Better pic of the tread
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011