1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What tires are "good" for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Im at the point that i have tire left left on a few trucks, but rather have new tires for the winter.

I will KEEP all of the tires off all of the current trucks and get ones JUST for winter plowing and swap back on the summer/highway tires in april-November this year.

Id need

265/70/17s for our 03 F150, currently has "90% left Cooper Discover H/Ts, not sure how they'll be in snow yet, can assume not great though.

255/70/17s General Ameritrac TRs for our 06 F150, has about 50% lift left or more, doubt these are ANY better than our contritracs on the 06 F350

275/70/18s Load E Continental Contitrac TRs for our 06 F350, fronts have 60% life left, rears are close to the wear bars at 38k miles. Gets stuck in 1" of mud in the property with 2500lb skid of salt in back in 2wd, so they dont grab anything now.

I was mainly considering Nitto Terra grapplers 285/65/18 for the F350, maybe Bridgestone Dueler Revos for the 06 F150 to replace the general ameritrac tires

What would be good for the pregen 03 F150? I see Goodyear Wrangler AT/Ss designed mainly for mud, snow and water for an all terrain tire or Firestore winterforce "snow tires" since ill just rotate them out each year.

2. Ramairfreak98ss

well i just selected 3 sets of tires from www.treadwright.com i was thrilled to see $1,271.00 as the total, originally i entered my zip code for shipping, it was $30.xx for ground for the first set, well that was PER tire lol.

Get to checkout, it wants $356.12 for fedex ground shipping, i dont think so now :/

3. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I'm happy with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades.....I have them on my 07 F-350 and the regular Silent Armors on a 99 F-150, I've plowed with both trucks.

4. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I am running Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour and they seem to be real good in the snow. I've heard from others that the tread wear is pretty bad, but nobody seems to have any trouble getting them replaced under warranty. Prior to this I ran Mastercraft Courser MSR and those were great as well.

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I should add both of my Silent Armors are wearing great.

37,700 miles on the set on the F-350...they should get close to 60,000 miles on them.
    44,000 miles on the set on the F-150....they should get 70,000 or more.

6. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I too should add, that after one summer of use on my Chevy 2500 with a fair amount of trailering, I have not seen any noticeable wear on the treads of the Silent Armour tires either. I was just relaying what I read when I was deciding on a new tire.

7. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I went to www.discounttire.com and got 4 Nitto terra grapplers 265/75r16 load range D for $550 shipped to my door, they offer free shipping. And so far they are extremely good tires in the snow, all kinds of traction. They did take a little bit of weight to balance but I've seen alot worse. They blew the bfg at's that I had on before right out of the snow. For comprable tires in town I was looking at about $700-$750 out the door. I got these for $550 and $50 to mount and balance. I'm very happy with them so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Studded snow tires :

[​IMG]

9. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

I run Goodyear Wrangler MTR's but the silent armours are great too. If you can find and get ahold of them Dayton Timberlane MT's are awesome. I have a set on one of the trucks and have probably 60k on them and have at least 50% tread left. But again trying to find a set has been vary hard for us.

10. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

I use Cooper Discoverer AT's. I managed to do a lot of plowing in 2wd without even realizing it , that's how good the traction is.

11. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah they look a lot more aggressive than the HTs for highway that i have on our 03 f150 :/

12. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

They do, don't they? I put them on my Expedition (no plow) and my Chevy 2500HD (8ft Hinikier plow) and they don't slip. They just don't. And the odd occasion they do, they grab traction just *snap* that quick. It's my first time with Cooper tires, and I've gotta say I'm impressed as *bleeping* hell.

13. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

the cooper ht and atr are decent tires. not too bad year round but havnt had the greatest of wear. Currently running 265/75/16 cooper st tires and I love em! again when you can plow all moring and then realize your in two wheel drive you know you have a good tire. should be okay for wear too and price is mid level around 800 for a set mounted and balanced

14. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

*expletive deleted* but it wasn't near that for my Discoverer's mounted and balanced. And like I say, I have them on my Expedition (no plow) and my (03 Chevy-8' Hinikekr plow) and I plow a lot in 2w.

15. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I'm not to impressed with my AT's in the mud..Dmax seems to get stuck in the smallest mud hole..In the snow, they are great....Plow in 2wd without knowing it also....ussmileyflag

16. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

True enough, I haven't used them in anything but snow so can't vouch for their OFF ROAD abilitiies and won't.

17. Inverted99

Inverted99 Member

18. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Not really off rd...Just in some greasy mud doing lawn maintance had to get pulled out of some really silly spots.....To be fair, cant really say if diff tires would help. The dmax is so front heavy she just gets into trouble in the greasy stuff...I think it's the same heavyness that makes it a great plow truck..... ussmileyflag

19. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Sounds like most people are using the Copper ST or AT's Has anyone used the M&S? Was thinking of buying the M&S but think I may go with the ST's now.

20. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

The Cooper website lists the M&S as their best "winter" tire. Check both the M&S and ST for winter traction under the Comparison Matrix in the lower left hand corner.
    http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_ms

I have the M&S (studded) for plow tires on one of my trucks, will get some for the other next fall. They are great snow tires. The studs will help on ice but be careful spinning them on driveways, they can mark up the asphalt if you do. You will only need to slide down a icy sloped driveway towards new garage doors once to realize how valuable studs can be. Don't ask how I know this!