1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What tire pressure are you running

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by mark24, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mark24

mark24 Member

Wondering what you run for tire pressure on your Jeeps when plowing. Front end is heavy and the tires look a little flat in the front with the plow on. They are at 32 psi though.

1976 CJ5 304v with Meyer plow
    4 inch lift
    32x11.50x15 tires
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

According to Goodyear Tire What gives you traction in snow is the number of corners in contact with the snow. Thus the lower the pressure the more tire in contact with the snow. BUT the mushier the steering gets. So like all things its a compromise.... I tend to run ~ 36# (Blizzak tires, thees things are fantastic) if it gets icy I may lower the pressure.
  3. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

We have had problems with BFG T/A's coming off the bead at low pressures (several times, not once). Run ours around stock pressure now. Anybody ever use Cooper Discovery STT's...great for throwing mud, but untested in snow as of yet.
  4. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I run 34PSI also on mine, 33" tires. I realy hate the mushy feeling when lower and traveling between jobs is scary. Not to mention what the lower pressure is doing to the sidewalls.

I'm running a wide tire also. Great to put as much rubber on the ground when on icy asphalt. May not be the best if you have to drive thru deep snow to start plowing.
  5. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Here is a little help for you guys. This is from a really technically brilliant guy on another board I frequent:

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

that was a really well written post. thanks,
  7. danskool

danskool Junior Member

30lbs in my Wranglers.