1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What tire load range for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coolgreen, Sep 28, 2003.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I have a 1989 F150 with a 7.5-foot Western Pro Plow.

I was wondering what load range my tires should be. I'm currently running Sport Kings, which did a pretty good job last winter, but are now pretty beat.

I'm going tire shopping next week and would like to go armed with some knowledge.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

from what ive read, you want to try and get a load range E. Ive heard a few guys who have load range D's, but i recall a thread stating load range E was the way to go. i have steel tex's in load range E on my 2500HD.
  3. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

load range E will always be the safe bet .
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I have load range "C" on my truck and they do fine, I never even had a flat tire with them yet, as unbelievable as that may sound. Watch tomorrow Ill get a flat! :D I do agree with the guys above though, "E" is better and stronger and holds it shape better with a load. There was a thread recently on this exact subject maybe a few weeks ago, it may have fell back a few pages. You should look for that thread and read it all, had some good information in it. If I knew how to link the thread here, Id do it for you, but I dont know how. Mike :drinkup:
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The proper load range would be determined by the load you carry. If it's just the truck and no sander or ballast, then you might get by with C, D would be OK. If you're loaded up with ballast or carry a spreader, E would be needed.

I'm a believer in bigger is better!
  6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Your truck has most likely 15 inch wheels. You will be hard pressed to find tires heavier than a C rating. Your Sport kings are a decent tire and if you are running a 9.50 or 10.50R15 they are usually C rated. The only thing you might want to do is look at the BFG-AT's. (C rating) Been using them for years. :nod:
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Scott beat me too it,but most 15" tires only go up to a C load range.A taller skinnier tire will handle weight better,and work better in the snow.

Not all tires with the same load range are created equal.Read the sidewall to get the actual load capacity per tire.
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

FUNNY..............Just eyeballing mY Deathstones.

They are load range E

They are only 2 ply sidewall and 2 ply tread !

Why not 4 ply or more?

Anybody else notice?................................geo