1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What time do you turn off you warning lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 12, 2005.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering if anyone turns off their warning lights at late hours of the night or early morning? Especially when you're plowing driveways.

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I only turn the lights off when the truck is turned off.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I dont use mine on driveways...Unless it off of a busy road, thats really the only time I use the is backing on to a busy road.

4. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

Small driveway I will turn the lights off

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Same here always on.

Regards Mike

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

always on

When plowing mine is always on, I can understand why some people might not want to blast lights in the windows but I want people to know I'm there. This is how I've gotten most of my pick-ups, and it helps other drivers know you are out. From personal experience before I was a plower, I can remember driving down a snowy road and then I would start to see the reflections bouncing off signs and houses, I would then slow down because I knew someone was plowing somewhere near.

7. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

mine are only one when im entering the roadway or plowing an occupied lot. and no i dont care what time it is, if they dont like it they can let me know and i'll work somthing out. if im in a neighbor hood i usually dont turn them on unless i see someone coming. i keep a good lookout. and most my res. are in culdisacs. servicing several homes in a row.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

On when plowing, Off when driving to the next account, then on again, it goes on like this all day & night.

9. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

Same here. Even the ATV keeps a flashing light on when plowing.

10. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

guess eveyone has different laws. around here (Cleveland Hts, Shaker Hts) you have to have them on when you're plowing even in a driveway but not when you're driving so mine go off when I'm driving to next location (if I remember that they are on)lol

11. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Lights on all the time. I actually have an original sticker from the 80's in one of the trucks that says "Use warning flasher when blade is attached". Just when it's snowing and I am going to be plowing that I'll have it on. I plow one store which I'll always have the light on.

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

this is how we run our trucks...no need to in a lot with no one in it at 4 in the morning

13. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Our company rule is

On before you leave the shop and dont turn off until you return.....

Same thing with engines.......'

With few exceptions

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

On only when plowing residentials on Busy Streets that require backing into the street. You still have to yield to traffic in all situations, your light just gives the ones who actually may have a clue that you might be looking to back into the street and they can use due caution/courtsey.

Otherwise off for Residentials.

If iam plowing on private property large enough for vehicles to move around in, then they are always on.

Between Accounts Always Off.

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Anytime I am working I flip the light on. It warns the idiot's that I am working the lot. You never know a cop could be sitting and watching you when an idiot hit's you. It would be to your advantage that you did have the light on and was operating per the laws.

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Always on except when I'm parked at a gas station or a restaraunt.

17. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

When I pull in my drive.

18. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I like that one :drinkup:

19. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

always On, Only Does A Few Driveways And Side Roads Anyway, And I Usually Don't Plow After 10:00 Pm So It Doesn't Matter, They're Still Awake.

20. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I usually shut them off while travelling from job to job, unless visibility is poor and I want people to see me. NH law says you are allowed to use amber warning light only when actively engaged in snowplowing, which some cops take literally to mean when blade is down. I knew a guy got a ticket for running a beacon while travelling between driveways. However if you are plowing the road for the town or state you can have it on, so whats the difference? NH law doesnt require it, but insurance carriers do, so I can always tell who hasnt informed their ins. co that they are snowplowing. I absolutely hate these morons who dont run a warning light. They can spend 30 or 40 grand on a new truck and plow, but they wont drop $50 or $100 on some cheap security. Anyway, I always had front cut-offs on my light bar, so I could kill the fronts when in driveways at night and not wake people up. I figure they need their sleep so they can get up and go to work and earn money to pay me. And it's nice in the snow too, because heavy snow tens to reflect the strobes right back at you. And it just strikes me as ignorant, same as guys waking up the whole neighborhood with their junker with no exhaust. That drives me nuts. I wouldnt pay someone to plow my driveway if they were going to be roaring back and forth in an obnoxious yard dog, or bouncing lights off my bedroom ceiling when it isnt necessary. I also dont believe that a private plow needs the same caliber of warning lights as say a police car or volunteer fireman. You dont need to move traffic out of the way like an emergency vehicle, too much lights just blinds other drivers and makes it more dangerous.