1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What the.....?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Mar 27, 2008.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Alright, what the h&11!! I just drove about 20 miles in icy, slushy snow covered roads.... I arrive at my destination, go to back up into my parking spot and I can't shift from neutral into reverse..... It's like there's some sort of blockage or interference and I cannot push my gear shifter from the N to the R. I go ahead and throw it into 4x4, shift into overdrive-off (anything I can think of to make changes the transmission may notice) and I drive around the block. I pull back up to my parking spot and, after pushing a little, it'll shift into reverse!! But, I can't get it past reverse into Park... Could there be some ice or frozen slush built up under my truck on the shift cables??
    Trucks a 2000 Ford F250 Powerstroke, auto transmission, 4wd with manual hubs. Any ideas!??:help:

2. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

yea if its cold, ice and slush build up on the pivots and linkage can def happen just see if you can get a heat gun under there or get some hot water and let it thaw in a garage if you can.

3. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Good. I'm glad to hear someone's theory match mine! I'm hoping it will thaw overnight (while I'm parked at work) I'll deff have to plow in the morning with 3-6" expected over night.

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

i'ts the bushings on the shifter shaft on the steering colmn or the two bolts on the back of the shaft that bolt the cable to the shaft.Been there,done that.

5. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

84diesel, so you're thinking it's my bushings in the steering column?? Because I have NEVER experienced this problem leading up to today, and have never even noticed any hesitation or indicatiion that the bushings were going bad... I assumed it'd be weather related as I drove through alot of slushy crap and temps were right at the freeze point, *(with alot of the slushy snow/ice being thrown up from getting out of the "tire tracks" vehicles before me had made).

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we've repaired two yesterday and one of them was actually the loose bolts on back of column shaft.The more I think of it, yours could be just loose bolts. Unfortunately you have to drop the column to see.

7. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

how hard is it to get into the column?? I've had part of it off once when I was hooking up my headlight flashers (long story).

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

the shifter shaft is right on top of column 4 bolts and the shift indicater cable and there you go.

9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Don't drop the column, we've had that happen many times with Fords. Slushy thick snow and drivin around, somthing gets jammed in the linkage somewhere.

Sometimes it's just hard to shift, worse case is it won't shift outa drive or won't go into park. Sucks yea. In all the years though, we've only had one nite where we couldn't keep running and had to thaw the truck out. Now that we better understand it, we head to the carwash and spray her down, and get back to work.

BTW, we work maybe 30 nites a year...

10. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

update: Must have just been frozen slush up in the linkage, because by the time I left work I could shift into all gears. P R N D 2 1 no problems! framer, I like your fix of running it through the car wash; if I have this issue again that's where I'll head. Thanks all, David-

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Gotta love when it gets warmer the problem goes away. The God's of repair have smiled apond you!

12. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Amen brother!