1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What the largest VBOX my 87 F250 will hold with salt?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86 CJ, Oct 31, 2011.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I have an old 87 F250(351), 8' bed that I plow with and have a tailgate spreader now. I am looking to upgrade to a Vbox to do more salting this year, but don't want to kill the truck. I was looking at a 1.5 or 2.0 CY Polly box???

2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I would say a yard and a half sander would weigh plenty for a 3/4 ton. A 2 c.y.sander is pretty heavy for a even a 1 ton s.r.w. with a plow on the front. I run a 2002 F-350 s.r.w./Swenson low profile that holds about 1 c.y.heaped and when I scale out (damp salted sand, 8' Fisher str. blade) I am within a couple hundred lbs. of GVWR. I should say I also normally carry a few 80 lb. bags of salt & walk behind spreader beside the sander in the box.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks Man

I agree with all the research I have done. I just wish the local shops here in MD were having a sale on the 1500 Salt Dogg as well as the 2000 :mad:

The 2000 is 300 cheaper right now

4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I doubt the 2 c.y. salt dog weighs too much more than the 1.5 c.y. model. If the bigger one is cheaper buy it. You don't have to fill it up all the way! Later if you get into a bigger truck you have a sander that is very serviceable and has the extra capacity.