1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Sep 14, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I bought this truck a few weekends ago, and I was tinkering with it last night, and I am wondering what the heck this "nirto box" is? It looks like the red plug in pic 2 will plug into pic 3? The red plug appers to be factory. Also what is the nirto box? What does it do? I had a buddy tell me that it will tell the computer in the truck to run at cooler temps, and it will dump more fuel into the motor? Also wondering if it would hurt anything if I undid the wire splices, and took the box out, and pluged the red plug back in? There is a sticker on the back of this box, and it says
    Part #G-2344
    Gm 1500/2500 series
    0155737268G
    Here are some pics.

wtf1.jpg

wtf3.jpg

wtf2.jpg

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It controls your blinker fluid levels and possibly something with your muffler bearings.

j/k I've got no clue what it's for.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

no. i got something for that in my truck and its black. this is for something else.xysport

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

are you sure bri? it could be a tounge weight enhancer for your trailer hitch

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

JD's correct. Except in this case it wouldn't have worked as intended...because who ever installed it tied it into the EVAP canister purge solenoid lol. :nod:

Take it off...and connect the red connector back into the purge solenoid where it belongs. ;)

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I kinda figured it wasn't doing much of anything. I will do that tomorrow. Where might something like that need to be hooked up at?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only place it's going to do any good on a TBI truck like your is either connected to the TPS sensor or the coolant temp sensor. Just depends on which is was designed for...but more than likely its to be attached to the TPS.

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

nitro bow

i think it is a gimmick ! not to many people have much good to say about it .

10. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Typical Ebay JUNK! theres a little resistor in the box worth about $0.12

11. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

That-a-Boy!!!

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Were all clear, undid the wire splices, and pluged the red plug back in, and threw the "nitro box" away.

13. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

you should have put it on e bay for all thos rice boys. im sure they would have given you something for it lol:)

14. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I forgot about that little box. I only popped the hood a few times in the time I had the truck. I saw it and was going to do some research and never got around to it. I figured it wasn't important and I didn't like the scotch locks, but just never got around to it.

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah that thing is long in the trash.