1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What sz salt bin?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scott's, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Just trying to fig out how big would a bin have to be to hold 40 ton of rock salt.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I tried it there is a stock pile calc., but didn't see a bin calc. My current bin is 12x20x5', they deliver 37 ton flowboy loads, if its empty or real close, it just fits, sides end up about 3'deep at the wall, I'm going to go out another 4 or 8', or just build larger (ideally 20'x40'), see what happens in next month or 2.
  4. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

would you have a pic you could share?
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have a pic. Its 6x6 posts set in concrete on 4' centers, with 2x6's on the walls, even in concrete the walls have moved a little. If I go larger I'm just going to use mafia block, problem with them is the closest supplier doesn't truck them and at 3000 lbs a piece, it will take a long time to move them (1 or 2 at a time).
  6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

4000 lbs a piece
  7. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

My bin is 36 ft long 12ft wide and 8 ft tall it holds about 120 tms at a time
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Were both wrong mullis, I looked up the weight of concrete, limeste & portland, 148/cuft @ 2x2x6 (24 ft), it works out to 3,552 lbs. Either way alot to haul (& trips) with a 1 ton flatbed, or skidsteer trailer.