1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What suv does the best?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by blc1, Oct 16, 2011.

1. blc1

blc1 Junior Member
    from ohio

I need to find a SUV to plow some smaller drives and also double as my estimate-mobile. I would like something that is 4 door. What vehicle performs the best? I have heard pros an cons of cherokees, blazers, wranglers, explorers, envoys and all of the alike.

Let me know what you would go with.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Oh no... another one of those "This is Fisher... No, this is Boss. Can I put Prowings on it? What are the best tires to plow on a Segway? Is there a V-blade available for those notorious windrows? How much ballast? Do I need an amber strobe? Can someone help me estimate WalMart with one of these?"
  4. neplow

neplow Junior Member

we had a ford explorer that did well. Not sure if they have a frame on the new ones..
  5. tjslider

tjslider Member

We're still using a '93 Explorer as a driveway rig. Last year it saw 4 lots also... 3 were very small, the 4th was just for assistance in a tight lot.
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Never used a small truck exactly, but I did have a 97 Tahoe 2-door that was awesome to plow with. So much that when I separated into work & personal vehicles I bought a newer (05) Tahoe as the daily driver, estimate vehicle, and spare truck for plowing or towing mowers. What I like in MY situation is that the Fishers are interchangeable, so I have redundancy between trucks. One plow breaks beyond repair or just at the most inconvenient point of a storm, I have the other. I know that's not your goal, but it's a selling point for me. I have liked the strength of the half ton truck, even just for mostly driveways. I've done plenty of storms with 40 driveways & 3 small commercial lots with a Tahoe and done just fine.

Equipped the right way, it's said that Wranglers are beyond compare for size/maneuverability in tight places & the power you get with them. You'd get a heavier plow than you would on an Explorer or S-10 blazer, and you'd have a pretty tough truck besides. Again, no experience with these, but reading the reviews of members here... Jeeps are the major contenders in mid-size SUV's.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

diesel jeep liberty
  8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

the best SUV is the one you dont put a plow on. When I started plowing, I had a 2003 Jeep Wrangler. It was all I had so I threw a plow on it. Bad idea. Smaller vehicles like that just do not have enough weight and the snow more or less pushed it around. Dont get me wrong, the Jeep had the durability and structural strength to hold up though. I really dont think other vehicles mentioned are a great option either, like Trailblazers or Explorers. Yes they have a full frame, but not designed for a plow. You'd be stuck getting one of the light duty homeowner model plows also, which is just asking for more trouble. I guess you could do with like a Chevy Colorado, I see a few guys around here plowing with them, but they always have really small plows and dont seem to do real well in even moderately deep snow. If I were you, I'd look into a a 1/2 ton, reg cab short box pickup with a front and rear plow. Throw a set of timbrens in the front, and you can carry a full weight plow. I'm not sure why you need an SUV for estimates, but you could always put a tonneau cover on the pickup to create storage space for yourself if need be.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed with a 97 4 door Tahoe last year. Very good.

Put an 8-2 Vee on and it's a Driveway Weapon.
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Did you have Timbrens and Crank-up the T-bars.......:salute:
  11. neplow

neplow Junior Member

he's from maine. i wouldnt even listen to him.
  12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I had a 99 jimmy last year with a 720 blizzard and timbrens. It was great in the driveways. I bought a Yukon this past spring and have a snoway on it. I hope it does as well
  13. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

I've had good results with cherokees in the past with 7'6 blades. just run good tires n you'll be fine. the 4l is a verry torky motor.
  14. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

They are not 4 door but the old k5 blazers and the late 90s Tahoe and blazer would be ideal.
  15. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Ford escursion , V 10 I run either a 7.5 meyers or a 8 ft with wings depending on the storm
  16. stevehawk23

stevehawk23 Junior Member
    from CT

For the past 3 years, i plowed with a 93 s10 blazer 4door. 6.5' fisher speedcast (heavy duty not homeowner crap plow) and it pushed snow better than most full size pickups i have plowed with in the past. Never a problem, never got it stuck. With the plow on the front and 2 plastic totes in the back with a sand/salt mix plus a few bags of tubesand i had traction wherever i needed to go, and even 12-15" storms were no problem at all. The best thing about them is the ability to get into tight driveways and easily around corners. Thats just my experience and opinion. If i could have fit a sander in that rig, i wouldnt have gotten a pickup
  17. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I plow with a blazer zr2 and I love it most of my work is driveways I have a snoway 7.5 it is 3" taller than a regular s10. It is all so my dayley driver I did have to put diffrent bumb stops.in the 4.3 is not a power horse at 190. But I can stack snow higher than most big trucks.
  18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

WOW I've been doing it all wrong for 25 years I guess my jeeps have not been out plowing the pickups 2 X 1 ON DRIVEWAYS. It really sucks not being able to push snow for 25 years with my Jeep. Damm that explains why I have to plow the uphill drive because the F250 cant push up the drive. O ya and I only got a 242 CID and not a 454. cant plow with a 242 ya no, no balls and it cant push my 7 1/2 V with a Jeep.

19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Isnt that the SAME size as a pickup?
  20. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

And my snoway 24d is to small and not heavy at 400 lb and my littel 4.3 is just to small. Darn I need to start over and get an f450 or bigger