1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What spreader would work for this........

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Advantage, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I have an interesting scenario: I will be picking up a new truck and want to put a spreader in it. However, I do not want a tailgate spreader or a v box. It would be for mostly spot salting as I check accounts and the occasional small lot. I don't want a tailgate unit because I want to run bulk and load with a skid. I don't want a v box because it would be overkill and we have dedicated salt trucks, besides I'd like to keep my visibility if I can.

Soooo, anyone have any suggestions for an electric unit that would fit my needs?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Chillerq

Chillerq Junior Member

Western makes a tailgate unit that is made for bulk salt...

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Trailer hitch spreader. You can take it off and throw it in the back of the truck when not using it.

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I already have a SnowEx 1875 tailgate unit that can run bulk but you can't easily load tailgate units with a skid steer. That is why I am wondering if anyone can recommend a small low profile v box like unit that I can load with a skid steer bucket. One that is not too large that it obscures the rear visibility.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We've never had any problems loading tailgate units w/ a skid..?..? just fill the corner of the bucket....

Edit: what about this ? > http://www.snowexproducts.com/salt-spreaders/sp-3000

6. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

I can get you a SPHE 1500 cheap this is a 37" tall v box electric that hold 1.5 tons

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

5 gallon bucket and scoop????

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Doesn't Curtis make a small v box that fits in a UTV and like snocrete said just corner bucket it to load the salt.

9. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I may be interested but you''re probably too far away.

10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Meyer/Diamond has a 1 cy low profile one that can be loaded with a skid.... I think it would be ideal for your situation. If it were I, I'd just get a regular v box just incase something happens to your salt truck.......