1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what spreader works best for straight ice melt? Recomendations,

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ACA L&L, Jan 15, 2010.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Just like the title says, we use strictly ice melt here, and was wondering what units have some of you guys used with good results. What model(s) works best for spreading ice melt only. Tailgate and v box type.

Controlling flow, spread width, multi function controller,keeping material in hopper rather than having it flow when not in use. Looking at tailgate and v box type spreader I think the snow ex models are my choice right now. Looking to find one that will help us spread the material with precision and without wasting material as the ice melt is not cheap,$7 bucks a bag. We typically apply a pallet per storm. We tried the buyers tailgate and did not like it. I would love to go into our local shop and talk with a sales guy, but the closest dealer is 3 hours away, so as much as i want to keep the money local, we dont have that option. Very interested to here any feedback that you guys have positive and not so positive, thanks in advance fellas.

2. Indy-South

Indy-South Junior Member

For tailgate spreaders we use a snowex 1075 with the gate kit. You have to have the gate to be able to regulate and close the hopper. Believe it or, we also use the salt dogg 2 yarder for ice melt as well. In the bottom of the box there are baffles than can be adjusted to control how much material flows to the auger. Both of these units work fine for ice melt. The salt dogg is nice because of the capacity.

3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Was pretty much decided on the snow ex, just wanted to here a lil feedback. So the gate kit allows u to open tailgate while swinging away the spreader.

4. Indy-South

Indy-South Junior Member

The pivot mount allows you access to your tailgate. The gate kit is for regulating material flow only.