1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what spreader do you guys recommend???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MRUSSELL, Oct 15, 2008.

MRUSSELL Member

i have a 2007 3500 chevy dump truck that i will be plowing with. i need to get a salt spreader but i really need a tail gate spreader. my problem is the distance from the hitch mount to the top of the bed that distance is a long way away, does anybody have any ideas on what i can do so its not a pita to load tha spreader? and yes it has to be a tailgate type spreader
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe have a welding shop fab a dropped reciever mount?
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you know, i have the prefert solution.

we made a mount for a freind, basicly, jus make it a swing mount.... we welded round pipe on the inside of the dump to each side. he takes the tailgate off, and the spreader attaches to the pipes, and can swing when the bar in one side is removed

it worked really sweet , he didnt have drop sides, so he could open it up , and load skids with the loader, i think he put a peace of metal accross the back , so it took the place of his tail gate... he could still dump too

it was WAY easy and cheap after we figured out what to do
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008

MRUSSELL Member

do you have a pic of the set up that you made? sounds like what i am looking for with out an easy way to load the hopper a receiver mounted spreader will be a real pita
  5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Innovation....creativity, sounds nice; i too would like to see it if possible.