1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What spreader do I need?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PLM-1, Jan 13, 2007.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

It seems like the last few years we have had a lot of ice storms. I usually just spread sand in my Shindaiwa walk behind spreader.

I would like to get a tailgate spreader as i don't have a way to bulk load. My main problem is knowing what to look for and what would fit my needs. I am acquiring a large account to plow and to apply some type of ice melt. I basically have the account i just need to tell them how much, i'm very "connected". What is the "best" configuration of chemicals to use. It usually doesn't get much below 20 degrees. Also, i'm not too sure where to buy these chemicals at. This is sort of a smaller town. I usually just get my sand at TSC or a lumber yard.

I would appreciate your guidance.

2. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

I was suprised to find my local grain elavator sells just about anything that comes in bags, Feed, Seed, Ice Melting, etc. and the price was better than Lowes!

3. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i like my snow ex 575.. dosent take bulk but it is deicent for the work that i do. do some searching through out the site for tailgate salt spreaders.... good luck

4. Rickco

Rickco Member

If you will be using bulk or sand/salt mix then you will want a 2 stage unit. A single stage unit will just clog up on you. Take a look at units like Fishers pro flow-2,or others like that.If you buy a single stage unit you will kick yourself in the a$$ every time you "try" to use it.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Get a western or a Fisher Pro Flow 2. Its the same spreader, differen't color. They will throw anything. Plus are damage near impossiable to kill.

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I Agree go with the Western or Fisher Pro Flow 2..wesport....I have a plow & Western 1000 Salt Spreader for sale....I spread bulk salt & sand mix..I don't know how well it will spread just sand but a 50/50 or 60/40 mix works fine on mine>>....If your interested let me know>>

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  7. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Have had good results w/ Buyers Salt dog. Operates great and was good price.
    Also usually landscape supply places carry bulk salt and extend their hrs. when snow is forecasted.

IMG0001.jpg

8. zippy3497

zippy3497 Junior Member

Hey LMG.....is that snow on the ground around your truck ? Are you holding out on us ? We want some snow too ya know.....:nod:

9. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Very little. Got to salt this morning. Hopeful For Some tonight !!!:confused:

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I liked that spreader too. Would you be willing to seperate? Give me more info please? A PM would be great.

11. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

I have a Western 2000 on a swing arm on the Ford F250 4WD
    and a Western IceBreaker on the Ford F550 Dump.

Both work great although they dont recommend using bulk in the 1000 or 2000...

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

DO NOT BUY UNLESS YOU PLAN ON ONLY DRY ROCK SALT.

I have the fisher model 1000 (same as a 2000, just 2 cusqft smaller, and no brake light) it does not have the 2nd stage internal chain to help move bulk wet/treated or compacted (sand) material. Also the auger opening is too large and all the sand would flow right out, on or off.

13. ronscofield

ronscofield Junior Member

Pro flow 2 dying from abuse

Well, I finally killed mine. I got it in 1999 I believe. Put dents in 6 trees and one car with it. I felt sorry for it last year and cleaned it up for the first time, replaced the conveyor belt because it was looking a little rough and put a new motor on it cause I fiqured it was about time, even though it ran fine.
    Well its got so much rust on it there is not much solid holding it together now, found this out after I backed into another tree. Guess it is about done for. will be looking for something a little lighter with about 800 pound cap. the pro flo 2 is hard to put on by yourself.

14. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

7 seasons isn't bad. You got to keep them washed off. I have only seen one completely trashed one. That was only because they didn't wash it off and it rusted out.

15. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

if its a large account then i would find a place around u that sells and loads bulk salt.. if u call or ask around u will def find someone that does and buy a small v box.. don't bother with the tailgate u will pick up more accounts along the way and regret buying something so small..

16. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Tailgate is too much work. V box the only way to go :nod: Local landscape supplier Sells bulk 4 $75.00 a yard here, and stays open when snowing.payup

17. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Our problem around here is getting supplies. I've talked to several people and the chain stores is the only place you can get any for about a 30 mile radius. I think I've narrowed it down to snowex now. There is a Boss dealer about 70 miles from here so their spreaders are about last on the list. Any input would be great on the SnowEx tailgates and Boss tailgate spreaders.

18. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

tailgate spreader

i have a buyers tailgate spreader that i use with sand only. All i did to make it work was change the auger inside so it wont clog with ans. i dont use a vibrator either. The only thing with buyers is that their new controllers will burn out after a year or so, but you can use a toggle switch when it does.

19. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

just a thought after saying u cant get anything in a 30 mile radius.. depending on $ i would buy a cheap loader and get it trucked in bulk and sell u all the local contractors, u would make some good cash!!! if it was like that in my town i would be at my shop drinking beer and loading trucks, the heck with the plowing..lol.. but really it seems like a good opportunity to make some easy cash..

20. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Is the Lesco spreaders the same as the SnowEx? They appear to be the same but like $200 cheaper.