1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What speed do you guys drive while salting a parking lot?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by maelawncare, Jan 12, 2012.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I was out presalting tonight and just got to thinking on speeds. Presalting I normally drive 10mph and regular salting I normally go 5mph.

I have a snowex 1075 and I do the same when I used to use a 575. I dont know if other spreaders throw out more faster, I am thinking most the smaller units do about the same.

So how fast do you guys go?
  2. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

tymusicussmileyflagAll depends on the conditions and requirements of the particular lot. Some times Im not moving at all but will salt around corners. 10 mph sounds about right. All depends on how much the gate on V box is open. Hate to go to fast, might find myself in the display section of a store:laughing:
  3. procut

procut Senior Member

Around 10 mph.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would say that is a good number to go with. Thumbs Up
  5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

one truck is set for 12mph, truck I run is set for 23ish (against my will)
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

0-20, seriously.
  7. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I'm also running a 1075... bout 8-10 mph for pre-treat, then after plowing anywhere from 2-5 mph depending on moisture content of the snow, how much is expected etc...

Also, I always overtreat the enterances that way the cars entering will carry it thru the lot.
  8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I go as fast as i can, my gas bulk spreader is set on one speed... Go.. Go.. Go..

Thinking 20 ish, i dont look down
  9. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

it all depends on the application . auger feed ,spinner & mph speeds calibrate your application . although ,if your subbing for Pa, PENNDOT has an actual mandatory calibration cert meeting with your trucks before any material is loaded
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

you can put a blocker in the back of it above the chain to block part of the opening that way salt wont fly out so fast.