1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Snowblower to Get?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris-R, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

It's time to get another snowblower. I'm thinking about a 36 inch model. Can anyone tell me what blowers they like or don't like and why? Thanks for your help.

2. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Simplicity or ariens I have both and like them. for both brands make sure you get the pro/commercial models. the 36" are nice if you are doing consistent depth of snow--walks etc, but they struggle a bit going through plow furrows due to their width. I have a 28" simplicity and a 36" ariens

3. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I would personally recommend a Toro 826 or similar model.

You can find them on your local Craigslist in your area. They are older but SOLID and go through anything! :gunsfiring:

4. diesel dust

diesel dust Junior Member

honda is the only way to gopayup

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

+1
    the joy stick chute control is awesome as well on the new toro's I have enjoyed my time using it...

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I went with a Ariens 30" deluxe. Has worked great and blows the snow pretty far.

7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Bought new 1996 24" troybilt when it still was troybilt. Only thing I have done is change the oil at the start of the season until this fall. I used it to do two residental properties till three winters back. When I started looking to pick up some extra money. Did not do too much extra that first year. Second year about 5 drives a storm. Last year the third year did about 12 drives a storm. Finally wore out the blade and side shoes so I replaced them this fall.

Bought a hardly used 2003 28" sear's/mtd middle of last snow season still looked great. Same engine on both, Tecumseh. Have only chaged the oil so far.

Now my advice is if your going to start out best to get a back up machine. Suck up a large newspaper will definitly slow down production. Also being time is money, and I have never had a larger blower if I want at least a 38". Maybe a 44" for the front of my JD.

8. terrain1

terrain1 Junior Member

Honda is indeed the only way to go. You pay more but you get what you pay for. Have been running a HS 11 32 for 6 years and never had any problems other than broken shear bolts. Never pulled it more than twice no matter the temp and thing really throws snow.

9. Lkohan

Lkohan Junior Member

I am in the same boat. The 2 snowblowers I have are both to big to fit in my truck with the salter. I can't ditch the salter b/c all the accounts need salt. I am hoping to find a compact unit that I can somehow strap to the side of the spreader. I have an older Western Tornado. Any input on a compact unit thats tough and durable. Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread just hopping in.

Thanks