1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What snowblower are you using?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mdewiese, Oct 14, 2016.

1. mdewiese

mdewiese Junior Member

We continually have grown over the past 2 years in a new market and I’m looking for options on single stage snowblowers. We currently run with plow truck, large two stage, and back pack blowers, and snow plow shovels. I tired of taking a two stage with us.

One of our dealers (Who is very helpful to use) is recommending the toro commercial single stage snowblower. Toro has a smaller/lighter option for residential use that I like because less fatigue picking it up. I understand that the residential model isn’t built for high use, but I’m not sure how much we would use them and I figure they would be exchanged out every two years. If they last longer then that great if not they will go.

What are you guys running, how long are they lasting, Pros and cons are welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

2. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

My work picked up 6 or so Honda single stage blowers last winter. I think they are HS720. I don't really like anything about them.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my personal Toro 518zr. It looks like a tiny joke of a machine, but that is the beauty of it. It's small, light weight, and easy to maneuver. Great for decks too.

If you need to clear snow banks, look at something other than a paddle machine.

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

My Honda 520 works good , but my Toro 421 and 721 work excellent . Toro would be my choice .

4. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I have 3 toro's.
    2 ccr2000 and just picked up a 2450 this summer. The CCR2000's are old but never have a problem with them. Hopefully the 2450 is just as good. Got the 2450 from Craigslist for $25, so far it starts first pull every time.

5. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I honestly could not count how many Toro single stage throwers we have. My guess is 16ish. Thing is we have tried a few other brands....junk. And for all of the throwers we have...my guess is we have 5 throwers to 1 snow blower (and they are never used).

As for the Toro...our 2 strokes tend to freeze up (govenor) after 5 hours is -25C. The 4 strokes don't seem to have that problem. BUt tI think they stopped selling the 2 strokes anyways.

6. SHAWZER

Will a Toro or Honda single stage blower work on a wood deck ?

7. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Yes I use a toro power light on a big deck with no problems.

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

there is a new single stage toro that is personal pace and has steel blades. its awesome. we bought one last year

9. SHAWZER

Have you used the Toro with steel blades on a wood deck ?

10. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I would stick with the rubber on wood.

11. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Toro 721 Thrower is the main tool in our arsenal. Yes, it is gentle on wood.

12. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

Toro 721RC. That is all.