1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What snow pusher to buy??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LHL Inc., Feb 16, 2012.

1. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Hey everyone, im looking to buy a snow pusher to put on a case 580sm backhoe... Im thinking 12' (that is if the city will let me drive around with that on, i will hear back from them tommorow) or worst case i will get a 10'....What is the best pusher for the money if u were not tottally concerned about a budget, i want quality!! i like the idea of the arctic sectional but am concerned about it holding up, and i will be the one operating it 90% of the time....IDEAS??
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Artic. We just got 2 this year. A skid and a 12 hd loader....both operators are raving about them!!!!!! Did have some issues with the loader one. But we think we got it resolved. Youd have to get a low pro one,,,but you should be fine. Just my.02
  3. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Never used the artic but i have protech and scoop dogg and the protech pushers better.
  4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

the arctic will hold up. they are amazing. best thing ever to plow with. scrapes down to pavement even when snow is packed or icy. it absolutley beats all our other pushers. scoop dog, protec, home made pushers are nice because they are cheap, but you will lose more money on cleanups and salting over time. the arctic is the best, it adjusts to different pavement grades and will not leave any snow behind after a pass. you can't tell me there is anything that will beat it. unless you are trying to push piles back that are solid ice it with it. thats more of a job for the bucket anyway.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Hands down a Arctic, especially if you'll be the one operating it most of the time
  6. whsiii2000

whsiii2000 Junior Member
    from wv

We own a protech and a boss pusher, both 12 ft. Both work great but i like the boss !!!!!! 10ft or 12 ft pusher not going to make a difference. also have 8ft on a bobcat and its awesome!!!
  7. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Do you have to follow the supposed 6 mph rule,? god knows i dont plow that slow, wont get anything done!!
  8. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Does $7100 for a new 12'hd sound fair??
  9. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Take a look at Horst Swingwings, 10-16' is awesome and legal just about everywhere as you can angle them and drive down the road under 9' wide. Will out perform any box plow I have ever used... or owned....... best of all worlds... in one plow.
  10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Always had pro-tech.....the artic is SO much better, not even comparable.
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm partial to the BOSS BX-12. We bought it last year and never looked back. It's a slip hitch design, trip edge, floating box ends. So far it's been a phenomenal push box, I can't say enough good things about it. I'm not sure of all the price differences but money well spent. IMO you want a slip hitch and the trip edge and floating ends have saved us a few curbs.
  12. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

We have Arctics on our skids and a Boss BX12 on one of our loaders. The arctics are great pushers and scrape very well but, so does the Boss. The Boss for the money is an exceptional pusher. It scrapes just as good as our Arctics and you can ram piles and push piles back with it with no problems at all. We replaced a 14' rubber edged scoop dogg with the Boss and because of the depth of the end plates and the height of the Boss, it caries just as much snow. If you are looking at a 12' pusher, I would seriously consider the Boss. We paid $4750 for ours brand new.
  13. mike ward

mike ward Member

We have protec, avalanche, scoop dog and artic. of that group artic is by far and away the best one for all the reason already said!
  14. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Thx for all the info guys!!! well it sounds like probably deciding between boss and arctic then huh.... is the arctic worth $2300 more?!?! I did watch a video on the proper way to run an arctic and understand that and looks like an awesome plow, but sometimes u do need to hit some piles a little to move them back, and for the most part that is a job for just the bucket but just curious if you hit the pile a little hard if you have to worry about problems with the arctic.... Thx again for your time fellas!!!
  15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

My operator hasnt broken a "block" in over 3 years (600 hours)... once you get used to the pusher you'll understand its limits (and its many benefits)

I dont know if its worth 2300 more then the boss as i've never tried one but Brian Young swears by his...its the slip hitch thats really the cats meow.... not sure if the boss has this feature but you can actually angle the arctic forward to aggressively scrape up hard pack..... I plow a truck stop with one and this feature alone is worth the extra $ not to mention all the salt savings you'll enjoy
  16. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

The Boss does have the slip hitch and you can ram piles with it with ease. It is built like a tank. Our skid operators have broke 4 or so blocks each on an LD model arctic. We absolutely love both pushers and would never buy anything else. You can angle the Boss forward to scrape hard pack if needed as the end plates do flex up. Either choice will be a great one. To me, the Arctic is more maintenance and sure if you operate it like they tell you to, you shouldn't break blocks. Breaking blocks is part of if you ask me. I want piles stacked high and I want production. If I have to buy a few 50 dollar blocks now and again, oh well not a big deal. Side by side though, I don't think you will see a big difference in performance unless your sites have crazy dips all over where you need each 32 inch section to be independent. The Boss slip hitch works great and the end plates float very nicely as well contouring to most pavement discrepencies in height.
  17. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Thx! if the 2 of them were sitting next to each other would you pay $2100 more for the arctic? Most of the lots i will use it on are pretty flat.... I do alot of gas stations that the fill caps stick up, will either plow trip over them nice without hurting the plow or the caps??
  18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have an Artic 14ftHD and a Boss 12ft. Both scrape very well. The Boss has fewer moving parts and the springs are easier to change. Also the side plates on the Boss are twice as deep as the Artic so it actualy carries as much snow as the Artic , even being 2 ft narrower. And the Boss is 1200 pounds lighter. Also you cant put the Artic 14ft HD on a backhoe, its just too heavy.
  19. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

We have plowed gas stations with our skids and the 10' arctics and they do not seem to pop the lids off at all. I don't know about the boss as most of our gas stations aren't big enough to have our loader with the Boss plowing them. If I were looking into an Arctic that was the same size as the Boss, I wouldn't pay the extra money. I think for skids, I will always buy Arctics as they seem to be the perfect fit for a large skid loader. The biggest downfall of the Boss is they don't yet offer any other sizes. Maybe in the future they will but for now, the 12' is all we get. For a backhoe, you would be very pleased with the Boss. I have always felt that Arctic lacks the proper size for small pay loaders and backhoes. The HD is too big and heavy and the LD is just too light duty for those machines. They could really use a standard duty that would be about 38" in height and be some where in the middle on weight.
  20. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Take a peek at the kage storm. Little more versatility in my opinion.