1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what snow plow to use on a 2003 siera K1500 5.3L

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ken York, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Ken York

Ken York Junior Member

Hello to All,
    I have a 2003 Sierra K1500 5.3L 4x4.
    I know the truck GVWR is 6400lbs, I know the front axle rating is 3925, Curb weight is 4920 with a 60/40 weight ratio.
    What all this means is that I have 973lbs of weight I can put on the front end. In the owners manual they say putting a 700lb plow 4 feet in front of the axle actually would weigh 980lbs.

Here are my questions.
    1. Do I have to include my body weight & the weight of a tank of gas .
    2. What can anyone tell me about putting a snow plow on this truck and what type would anyone recommend.
    3. I'm concerned about going over the front axle capacity.

Here are a few more things you may need to know.
    I weigh 180lbs
    The truck has the Z71 option with trans cooler
    I only plan on plowing residential drives and small commercial acct.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Ken York

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If you do a search for snow plow manufactures. Most manufactures not only display features and benefits of their equipment, but also have a section to help you choose the correct model plow for your application.
    If you are buying a new plow your local dealer will be able to help you buy the correct plow for your application. Keep in mind warranty and service (hours of operation, are they open when it snows) should also be a consideration.
    If you are looking to buy a used plow, who will mount it and service it?

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest size plow for a 1/2 ton is what we call a 7 foot 6 inch LT. Meaning it is built just for a half ton. Approx 550 lbs. Don't confuse it with the 7 foot 6 inch heavier model. It is made for a 3/4 ton and weighs Approx. 750 lbs. Stick with the LT. It will save your truck. Don't let any one tell you different.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have a chevy avalanche 1500 4x4 Z71 and I put a Sno-way 7.5' MT90 plow with the clear polycarbonate (Lexan) moldboard on it. I love this plow. It is lightweight but stong. I have had fishers before and won't go back. The Sno-Way has down pressure which helps alot on residential, and tight small commerical accounts where you have to do some back dragging. The only other plow I would look at if it were me would be blizzard. You also might want to look into timbrens. Before I put them on my truck when the plow was lifted it sank about 1.5-2.25" after the install maybe .75" at the very most. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

5. Ken York

Ken York Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I will look into a Snow-way plow & some
    Timbrens.

Thanks
    Ken York

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

get a 7.5 sno-way snowplow:)

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

WESTERN a good ultra mount plow.Fisher has nice mm2 system a ld plow for half ton or you can the rd looks better or a meyers 7.0 or 7.5 with a e60 unit

8. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Hey putting a plow on a half ton may not be the smartest thing. But if thats what you have thats what it goes on. I had a 99 gmc1500 Z71 w/ 7.5 western poly pro ultra donut forget the TIMBRENS!! This truck did just fine even pulled out a few 3/4. Now as long as you know your limits you will be fine. But these guys are right a 3/4 is the way to go. I can tell the difference. I would do the western again on a 1/2 it worked great. GOOD LUCK!!

9. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I'm considering a 2004 Tahoe with a Fisher MM. I need a smaller truck to hable tight drives and would really like a Blazer or a Wrangler but I seem to have missed the boat this time. The Blazer cannot take the plow I want and the Wrangler needs the factory air shock kit which is no longer availiable. Any ideas guys?

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can plow with a tahoe i have seen fisher mm2 7.5 rd on them or the new western ultra mount

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hey go air bags. Basically an air spring that takes the weight off the suspension. An old timer plow installer told me on my Bronco II to just put Firestone airbags on it. Don't go heavy on the plow size and let the air out when the plow is off. Heavy duty shocks added you should be alright. Summitracing.com has the setups for most trucks.

12. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Check out the Western UltraMount plows. They have the best set up for connecting a plow. The plow can be on or off the truck in less than a minute. :nod:

Western's site has an application program to select a plow just for your truck as well.

13. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

I have a fisher RD (7.6) MM2 with a "Fishstick". I am using a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 with the Z71 package. if you look at thier website you will see that this plow is recommended for your truck. I also added Timbrens, as they were highly recommended by the dealer that installed the plow. So far I have not had any problems at all with this set up. good luck