1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Small Truck To Buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris-R, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I currently have a 2008 F250 with a V-10 engine for plowing a big condo development, streets, etc. With the high cost of gas, I want to buy a tiny pickup truck with a tiny engine (4 cylinders) mostly for driving around from place to place all year long. The truck will double as a small driveway plow during storms. It will ONLY do driveways. No big jobs for it. Can anyone give me ideas on what truck would be good for this? Pros and Cons? Thanks for the help.

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

I know a fella around town here that has a little Susuki truck awesome on gas has a dump bed, fully lockable diffs, ect Im thinking about getting one for running back and forth to the cottage lots.

[​IMG]

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For ONLY driveways small is it try a jeep wrangler:eek: you be amazed at the productivity of one.payup (for driveways)

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Id go jeep, or ford ranger, i dont see many ppl with small chevys for what ever reason, id highly consider a V-6

5. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i would deff recommened a jeep wrangler with the straight 6 engine. great torque and very easy to move around. i wish i had one for the driveways that i do. my chevy is a little to big for a couple of my driveways that i do. also a smaller dodge dakota would be nice, trans are not so good but they seem to push snow around pretty well.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I say jeep liberty diesel

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Wrangle or the Ranger. Go with a Sno-Way plow with down pressure too.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

the dodge dakota, isnt very fuel friendly , and isnt that much more menuverable than a ram... like i said ranger, or jeep

9. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

If you didn't need it to plow small driveways, I would have said a Honda Element--but you can't outfit it with a plow.

I have '04 F250 and use my Element to drive everywhere I don't need the truck. at 25/30 mpg I can't beat it...

10. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I used a 2000 cherokee sport for 3 winters in Buffalo NY before this became my only job. Not bad on gas and the 4.0L pushed the 7'2" western without effort.

11. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

stick with a jeep, 4.0 and your golden. i had a cherokee with a fisher on it. was great in the snow and pushed well.

12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ranger with the 4L 6cyl and you wont be dissapointed i wouldnt get a 4 banger and push snow with it u wont get any miles to the gallon with it

13. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Thanks for all the help. I found a 2009 Toyota Tacoma and will be picking it up tomorrow. Now I'll have to figure out what plow to get for it. Again, thanks for the help.

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a Toyota Tacoma with a homesteder plow. Tacomas are tuf little trucks. Don't get a Ford Ranger I have it needs a tranmition. The Ford Ranger is also known for tansmition probablems.

15. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i pesonally dont like ford rangers at all. i am a chevy guy though. with the toyota get a sno-way with down pressure. the best set up for that truck. the sno way is light and will do a good job.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What's a tranmition?

Or a tansmition?

So based on your own vehicle all Rangers are junk? Never knew before today that Rangers were known for TRANSMISSION problems. Care to back up you statement with some facts?

17. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

id like to argue that too my 91 ranger had a 5 speed with well over 200k on it. My 05 was flawless except for me hitting things with the body panels

18. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

not to get in the middel but your compaing a auto to a stick. a stick can last a lot longer with a careful clutch foot and a good driver. auto trans dont always hold up like a stick can. but as far as trans issues i havent seen to many with the 4l fords. add a trans cooler and there shouldnt be a problem with an auto plowing.

19. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

a good driver can make any vehicle last longer:nod:

20. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You'll need to do some figuring to find out if buying, outfitting and insuring another vehicle would be worth it for the gas mileage.

What mileage do you get now?