1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What skidsteer will push a 10ft box!!!!!!?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by deverslawn, Dec 17, 2009.

1. deverslawn

deverslawn Junior Member

Thinking about buying a skidsteer and getting a 10ft box pusher. But is there a reasonably priced used skidsteer that will be big enough and heavy enough to push this. Any suggestions with guys that use skidsteers would help a ton!!
  2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

A magic one how ever they are very rare and almost non-existent
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

looking for something over 75hp, and over 8000lbs, all skidsteer manufactures have a larger model
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck. I have a Bobcat S220 that would push a 8'5" More than 100 feet. I always end up spinning my wheels. I have a set of tire chains on order so maybe I'll try it with them just for kicks. We get way too much snow in Buffalo for the pusher on a Skid.
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Whats reasonably priced? There are lots of SS's that will push a 10fter.
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I can tell you have a lot of skid steer experience.

Anyways, I bought a Case 85xt this year and it seems to handle my 10 foot pro-tech well. It is a pretty large machine though. Its a 2002 and I only paid $15,000 for it with a cab/heat, tooth bucket, 9 foot plow, and forks. Picked up a 9 foot snow bucket for an extra 1K. Well worth it so far in my opinion.
  7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

my buddy has a s-250 with a 10 foot box on it ( homemade) loves it!! he says trick is just not to stop once you get moving!!!
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

a case 85xt is a big machine, a bobcat 300 would be a good machine for a 10ft snow push
  9. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

no experience with using a skidsteer for snow removal but I have run them before
  10. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal. How may hours on her?
  11. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

bobcat 300 series will push a 10 foot box
  12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Somebody needs to come up with a cross reference chart for all the different brands & all their different model #'s. :dizzy:

I would agree that a 75 hp+, 8k#+ machine should handle a 10' without too many problems. If you have probs with something this size, it's going to be in terms of traction. Look into better tires if thats the case.
  13. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

foam fill your tires. adds over 500 lbs to the machine
  14. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

S250 or a 300
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've run a JD 332 and a Bobcat S330 doing dirt work and I'm sure both of them would push a 10' box with no trouble. Especially the JD one, had extra counterweights on it and good tires, very productive machine.
  16. JMurph

JMurph Junior Member

bobcat snow push

A lot of guys are going to say I'm crazy, but I have an S185, 56hp, and I push a 10ft box. I only have trouble when turning with heavy snow, but all my runs are about 200ft and straight. typically a 10ft box is designed for a machine over 60 hp. it has cut my time in half and only have to use the truck for roadways and sanding. Good luck
  17. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I run a 9' pusher on a New Holland 185 and it is excellent. The big thing you need is traction on a long push. An 80 HP machine will only be useful if the traction hooks up. Standard skid steer tires are low ground pressure. You will want narrow snow treaded tires like Snow Wolfs, (which require a new rim as well) or chains on at least two of your existing tires.

Pushing straight runs should be fine if you are in a heavy 80+HP machine. Because a skiddie doesn't articulate, you don't want to take sharp turns with a pusher box full, but you will be fine with a ten on a big machine.
  18. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

do any of the big manufacturers make a 9ft pusher blade? or are they either 8 or 10? iv been looking around and all that i see that is a 9 footer is either homemade or the kage plow.
  19. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

20. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

I have a bobcat s250 with a 10' box goes good and a 252 cat with a 10' box goes great. I bought a new s185 with 2 speed and it spins out with a 10' box was wondering who chains up and do you just do backs or do you do all four wheels?