1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what size western plow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lance Workman, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Lance Workman

Lance Workman Junior Member

I just bought a 2003 Chevrolet silverado 1500 Z71 5.3 V8 engine, 3.73 ratio rear axle, 4x4 automatic, with transmission oil cooler, extended cab,with a fiberglass topper. I would like to put a Western 7.5 foot poly pro plow ultra mount on it. One dealer said it is too heavy for my truck and suggested a Western midweight poly plow for it. Another dealer told me my truck would handle the ploy pro plow just fine. What do you guys think? I really would like to go with the poly pro instead of the mid weight because of the sturdiness of the poly pro. I would only be plowing my paved driveway and maybe one of two others ocassionaly. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

2. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

i have a 7.5 pro plow on my 05' crew cab1500. it handles the plow great. just add timbrens and crank the torsions bars up about 4 or 5 turns. just remember its a 1/2 ton and don't go tearing into driveways with it. take it nice and slow and you will be fine. I love my pro plow!!!!:drinkup:

3. Lance Workman

Lance Workman Junior Member

Thank you 750

I'm going to buy the Western Poly Pro. I feel better after hearing from you. I'll get theTimbrens and torque up the torsion bars.

4. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I had a 7.5 steel pro plow on my 05 1500 crew cab, not a single problem

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would just put a western poly midweight. It was designed for half tons and is a far superior design to the pro poly. I have installed a couple and everyone loves them. Timberns are a must.

6. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

I cant find a dealer willing to put on a pro for a 1500.

I havent bought my 1500 because of this. Anyone around Chicago that'll do it?

Also, I want a FLEXFUEL 5.3

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

LEEDOG for your flex fuel 5.3 go to DIABLOSPORT.COM. My buddy Andy who owns Dyno Tune Performance out of Watertown SD sold his patent to program anything to E85. We have our Corvettes tuned on corn pickup 20hp on the chassis dyno 115 octanexysport