1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size V XT is better for an 03 F350 SD PSD w/ 4" lift?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by coldcoffee, Oct 25, 2008.

1. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Hi all, this is my first post on this site...I recently got a 2003 Ford F350 SRW super duty PSD which came w/ a Boss under carriage (it had a straight blade and was sold). The truck also has a 4" lift w/ Buckshot Maxxis Mudder tires (LT315/75R16). All my plowing is commercial, mostly hotels w/ 50-100 yard isle ways, the snow can get a bit heavy at times, but I can break it up and drop it on islands when I have to, I also carry about 1 ton of salt.

I want to install the 9' 2" steel V XT, but was told by the dealers installer that "it would be too big for my truck (even if it were stock), and that the truck wouldn't be able to push the heavy load...I would just spin my tires". He strongly recommended the 8' 2". He also said that "the lift kit may be a problem also." Any thoughts there would be appreciated!

Also, these are suppose to be special prices that I was quoted (a favor), if you can, please tell me if I'm getting a deal (remember that I have the under carriage on the truck) : 9'2" poly or VTX : blade...1515.00, plow box...2661.00, assembly...150.00, fluid...20.00, snow deflector...237.00, smart lock cylinders...275.00, hand held controller (msc 09601)...247.00............Total bill....$5,105.00

Thanks in advance for your comments !! :help:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your going to need custom mods to the mount for the plow to work correctly with that amount of lift and tires, so be sure to add that into any plow install budget you have.

Price isn't bad.

Whats the front axle rating on the truck?

What cab and bed configuration is the truck?

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Curious.....what is the measurement from the ground to the holes on the undercarriage where the plow goes. Boss reccommends 15.5 inches.

4. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

5. 04f350powerv-xt

6. 04f350powerv-xt

just re-read your post, your looking at the poly and i have the steel, I don't see it making much of a difference.

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

The height from ground - bottom of the hole is 17.25"

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Actually, I think I'm leaning toward the steel blade...They were both priced the same.

9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

The front axle is 5200 Lbs. It's a 4 door cab w/ a short bed.

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Thanks for the vids...looks tough! I'm just below you near the lake...about 3 hrs south of the border...My biggest concern is having to put too much strain on the drive train, especially the head bolts of my 6.0L...Last February storm, I still have flashbacks...145 hrs. nonstop and beat the hell out of my old truck, ripped the plow off the aframe of my western...but survived!

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

17 1/4" is too high for a vee....16" is about the max while still being able to adjust the wing pitch with the stop block on the pushframe in order to get the wings to set flat on the ground in all positions.

12. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I bet you could run a 265 tire for snow plowing and get that mount within specs. Would be a lot easier then modifying the mount.

13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah thats too high for a V plow. The price is about average so your ok there. I would go 9'2"

14. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Thanks, any idea as to what the mods would entail...as far as custom fabricating or bolt on extensions...this would be my first Boss so I'm not all that familiar w/ the set up (always ran w/ Western and Meyer straight blades).

15. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

You may be right...I'll have to look at that as an option. If some guy in a shop is going to have to start getting creative...I'm not interested in being a guinea pig. I'm not too fond of the mudders anyway. Thanks!

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then ditch them in favor of a smaller tire. Will save mount mods. :nod:

17. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Thanks for the help...now tire shopping