1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What size v-box for F-550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wilburn Parks, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm thinking of getting F-550 flatbed for plowing and salting what is the biggest salter you have put on this kind of truck? I don't want to go bigger than 10' bed. If any of you use this kind of truck what is the most salt you can put on back?

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would stick with a 8' v box sander and some boards. if you are going to be plowing i think a 10' box is just to big.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

A F550 can easily handle a 3yd. Depending on how the truck is setup you should be able to come in under weight regs as well.

4. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

You can take 4 yards easy on F550 - With a 10' Box we always run 10' salters - The chute sticks out about 2' farther making it a 12' length - Another point to note is that even with an 8' model the chute will still overhang the same so why not take advantage of the space. Suggestions = Western/Fisher new Icebreaker 10' model or maybe the MDV series by either Swenson or Meyer (same setup either way) their largest is also 10' in length and are geared for 15000-20000 gvw trucks like the 550.

5. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

well my 550 has a 9' body. i would get a 9' low profile v box with a 2.2 cu.yard capacity.
    figuring that the truck weighs in at 10,040lbs
    Plow 960lbs
    V-Box 1000lbs
    total 12,000lbs
    That leaves 5,500lbs for sand and shovels.

In this area of ct the dot has been known to pull over small plow truck and weigh them.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

They could fill up a ticket book here during a storm! The cops don't bother us too much, they want to see things cleaned up as soon as possible and are out chasing fender benders. I have seen them ticket for uncovered load and pushing snow in the street.

No wonder they call Connecticut the communist state!

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

LMAO yea at times the Smokys are tough out on the CT roads. but hey you gotta deal with whatever comes your way because when the storm hits you have to be responding to your customers.

Jay

8. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks for the reply guys. I was thinking that I could put a 10' spreader on that truck. I have a 8' v-box spreader on F-350 with 12" sides but I was hoping to haul more with F-550. I'll have to start looking at 10' v-boxes to see what they can hold.